Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Favorite video games

I know that I'm not the only one who plays video games on this board, so what are everyone's favorites? Some good ones that I've played:

Gladius (GameCube, XBox): Strategy game where you play as either Ursula (viking girl) or Valens (Roman guy) and form a gladiator school and go around beating up other gladiator schools. You can recruit gladiators; some mythical ones (satyrs, minotaurs), some animals (wolves, bears), and some real gladiator classes (murmillos, secutors). Lots of fun if you like strategy games--I've seen nothing but positive reviews--and it has a really great co-op mode where you and your friend can control different players on the field in battle.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GameCube): In this RPG you start off as a woman named Alexandra Roivas who finds her beloved grandfather murdered in his home and tries to find out who did it and how it happened. You play 12 different characters from different periods of time, starting with a Roman centurion and including a dancer, a firefighter, and an Indian Jones rip-off type. What makes this game so cool, besides the nasty Cthulu-like god creature, different stages, and killer zombies is that not only can you lose life but also sanity and the less sanity you have, the more weird things happen. However, when you have no sanity you lose health. I suggest letting yourself go totally crazy in the fourth stage with the priest because you can't die in that stage.

Dynasty Warriors 5 (Playstation II): I like this game because I'm kind of stupid when it comes to video games and this game's co-op Mousou mode allows me to wail on a bunch of guys while the boyfriend goes off and does anything that doesn't involve wailing on a bunch of guys. It takes place during the era of the Three Kingdoms in China after the fall of the Han Dynasty. You can play as any of over 40 characters, all of whom were actually involved in the happenings of this era, from the kingdoms of Wu, Wei, and my personal favorite, Shu. There are also some miscellaneous characters like Lu Bu, a huge cranky guy who's a pain in the ass to fight and has funny hair, and a create a character mode. There are a lot of different modes you can choose to play in, my favorite being Mouso mode where you pick a character and go through the battles that he or she (there are a lot of female characters) had something to do with, and then you get a fun ending featuring that character, Zhang He's being the best by far.

Those are my favorite games for the moment. What about the rest of you folks?

2. # ADS

all time favorite: mario cart for nintendo 64. loads of fun in college - after going out sometimes a group of us would play together late night when we got home. i'd love to be able to play it now with friends on a rainy day.

i hadn't played any games for a while since then until my partner's brother recently tried to get him into warcraft. now i'm addicted and my partner isn't... *chuckle* - he plays but is able to move on with life where at this point i might need a 12 step program...

Oooh, kittensrme, those first two games sound really great. :)

My hot game picks:

• Katamari Damacy & We <3 Katamari (PS2)
      You: The Prince
      Katamari: A ball
      The King: Your whacked dad who's charged you with rolling stuff up. Scratch that, rolling everything. The katamari starts out small, and you can only roll up small things (eg, thumbtacks, stamps); the ball gets larger and so do the items you're able to roll up (cats, people, cars, buildings, whole islands, clouds...).

Features super simple controls, addictive music, and psychadelic graphics.
    • Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
      What doesn't blow me away about this game?
      Graphics? Gorgeous.
      Soundtrack? Perfect.
      Controls? Easy.
      Concept? Unique and wild.
      This game breaks the standard of fighting your way up to "boss" battles and instead provides you with seventeen colossi to find and kill. The landscape is desolate, but beautiful; other than the colossi, it's only you, your horse, the occasional lizard, and the dead girl who inspired you to go on this stupid quest. And curse it you will, after you've climbed your way up to a colossus and find yourself hanging on for dear life. No game I've played has ever captured the tension of a moment as well as this one. Outstanding.
    • Tropico (PC) and Diablo II (PC)
      These are both older games, but I'm namechecking them for their ability to be played again and again. Diablo II has been particularly fun since my husband and I started playing it over our home network; it really strengthens the D&D feeling of the game for me. (Yes, I'm that geeky. :) Diablo partakes of that battle-up-the-bosses standard that Shadow of the Colossus so utterly trounces, but is recommended for its variety in character generation/development. Unlike so many games where there's one-best-way to things, I really feel like all your options are worthwhile in Diablo, leading to much more varied characters and added fun for repeated play. Tropico is a resource-management game where you're the leader of a small island nation, responsible for building up your city, providing for the people...and stashing something away in your Swiss bank account for retirement. Again, Tropico has a wildly fun soundtrack (I'm sensing a theme here...), and there a bunch of game add-ons available online.
    • God of War (PS2)
      I've just started this one, but wanted to mention it for its superb controls. I'm not fond of button mashers or gameplay that requires you to have a cheatsheet for all your special moves, and GoW somehow avoids this. Additionally, it's not "just" a fighting game, incorporating a variety of worthwhile puzzles in the game's progression.

since my husband and I started playing it over our home network; it really strengthens the D&D feeling of the game for me. (Yes, I'm that geeky. :)
    your not alone on that one. my partner and i discussed doing this with warcraft for the potential enhanced D&D feeling of it... He loves loved diablo too (i've never played).

Sadly, I only had a Sega Genesis growing up.
    I still only have a Sega Genesis, and though I have been playing these games for 12 years, I still cannot beat any of them.
    But Sonic the Hedgehog III is my favorite. I like Sonic and Knuckles, and Street Fighter.

I <3 my Super Nintendo!

I've never owned anything after this one and Super Mario Land is my favorite.

Dungeon Siege
    Baldur's Gate
    Gauntlet

Hmmm... I think somebody played too much D&D growing up...

I just got hooked on RuneScape (www.runescape.com) -- a free mmorpg.

I also play City of Heroes.

I tend to like Sim games like The Sims, RollerCoaster Tycoon, and Sim City, and sometimes I play the strategy sims, but I usually don't stick with them.

My favorite Sega Genesis game was ToeJam & Earl. Anyone ever play that?

I really like We <3 Katamari, too artgeek! The first one didn't come out in Europe, according to the boyfriend. We just got it last week- it's so weird, but cool. I'm not very good yet, though.
    I also like Dance Dance Revolution (or Dancing Stage, as it is boringly known here). I've been trying to do it every day for exercise.
    I also like Animal Crossing, on the gamecube.
    And... that's all, I think. I don't like violent games, or sci-fi-ish/mythical whatever-you-call them ones. I wish they would have more funny, weird games with no scantily-clad women in them.

im playing animal crossing on the DS right now.

also love final fantasy, DDR, soul calibur, zone of the enders

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads