Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I wish i had understood the consequences of spending more money than i had. Pay off your debt! I am now free of credit card debt, and i never carry a balance now. If i had understood how that debt would slow me down, i would have been so much more careful.

Don't go on diets, instead make changes to your life-style. It took me a very long time to lose the 30++ pounds, but i no longer feel like i am giving anything up, instead i am very happy with the way i eat and live now.

you can learn to do anything if you put your mind to it, and you can always change your mind.

2. # ADS

*Try to always have a "get out of Dodge" fund. First, last and deposit for an apartment and enough to live off of for as many months as you can squirrel away.
    *Let people take pictures of you. (I have like 6 pictures of my Nana - she never let people take her picture and now her loved ones don't have many at all).
    *Travel as much as you desire and can afford.
    *If you have trouble with a boss, just picture them getting a great job offer and moving far far away (it's worked before).
    *Always listen to your instincts.
    *If he says he is sorry, he probably is, but that does not mean that he can stop. Abuse only gets worse - get out and stay out of the relationship.
    *Take very good care of your back and your teeth.

- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen.
    - Learn to listen to your gut instincts, and pay attention to them when they're waving red flags at you.
    - Family support is important, but don't be afraid to be your own person, even if they don't agree.
    - Don't ask questions that you don't want to hear the answers to.
    - If you're stuck, imagine your life as a movie & try to decide what the heroine would do. Sometimes it makes it easier to make decisions when you get a little perspective.
    - You can do absolutely anything you put your mind to, as long as it's within the laws of physics.
    - Travel while you're young; it's so much harder to do when you're older & settled.

...and the number one rule:

- You. Can't. Change. Him. Period. Paragraph.

First, there is some REALLY good advice on this page...I urge people reading to heed it.

Below is some of this is my mother's wisdom (some mine)

- Life is not fair (but do your part to make it more fair)
    - Do what is right, not what is easy.
    - Don't mess up your credit (my hubby's was crap and it really hurt us).
    - "do not compare yourself with others as there will always be people greater and lesser than yourself"
    - Give more than you receive.

I had some other really good advice, but I forgot it once I started typing. :-)

m.

i LOVE this thread. Such awesome words of wisdom, i've learned a lot from everybody!

Face cream? I think you just have to test them out to find one you like. Anything to keep it mositerized before you get older and it starts to get dry. My mom-in-law taught me that a long time ago, she is in her mid-50s and still has bee-U-tee-ful skin!

I don't yet have much advice to give (I wracked my brain - I've learnt almost nothing), but I just wanted to say to laurynbean, travel! Don't worry about the student loans, they'll still be there when you get back. Travel will change you profoundly, and you've got to have some good memories to keep you going while you're working to pay off the loans later. I still get a little confidence boost when I think of all the things I did by myself in Europe when I was nineteen (I'm twenty-three now). It's so important to see the world and understand that what you know of it isn't what everyone else experiences.

Mainly, I've taken lots of advice from this thread, so thank you all!

great tip! i agree 100% on the travel angle. i took a trip to england in my senior year of high school and it changed my whole life's perspective. i've been back to europe twice, most recently on our 10th wedding anniversary. i planon taking my kids during their high school years too.

i think if i hadn't of taken that first trip i wouldn't of done half the interesting things i've done or met any of the intriguing people along the way...

Yeah, travel while you can. I am sure wishing I had done so back before I was tied down with 2 large dogs and a permanent day job. I'm still paying my student loans, but it's "good" debt, I've been told.

Are you asking about taking out more loans for school or loans for travel? I'm not totally clear on what you're asking.

Learn another language or two! It keeps your brain young (really! Isn't there some statistic about bilingual/trilingual people being less likely to go senile?), it helps you understand and speak your first language better, and it gives you a whole other perspective from which to see things.

Slather on that sunscreen (this has been said, but merits repeating).

Learn to enjoy healthy foods. You *can* change your tasted buds, and you'll feel so much better.

Be very, very afraid of credit cards. Live wtihin your means.

Don't be so afraid of loneliness that you're willing to put up with a bad relationship -- whether that be a friendship or a romantic relationship.

Stay in touch with people you love!

Quote Originally Posted by xuli
    Learn another language or two! It keeps your brain young (really! Isn't there some statistic about bilingual/trilingual people being less likely to go senile?), it helps you understand and speak your first language better, and it gives you a whole other perspective from which to see things.
    There are several studies out that support fluency in many languages helps greatly with senility, head injuries and mostly recovery from strokes - because the more synapse connections made in youth (by exposure to languages, music, art, physical activities) the more likely you are to be able to "re-wire your hardrive". Speaking several languages often also helps greatly for people with post - polio disease - they have a bigger "bank" of muscles to work with in speach therapy.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads