Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    * start making exercise and healthy eating a part of your life when you are young. i wish i hadn't neglected my body in my teens and early 20s.

* just say it. especially when it comes to relationships. don't let it build up, don't hide behind it. just say it. (my best friend, who's gift is that she is so right on all the time when it comes to men, told me this)

* pay off your credit cards every month if you can

* i will ditto TRAVEL when you can

* when the music moves you - dance, dammit! and don't be afraid that people are watching

* take compliments gracefully

* hug, kiss and say i love you every time you leave

*volunteer some of your time working for a cause that you support

2. # ADS

Ten years ago I was only 16 and (this is kinda shallow, but) I wish I would have known that tapered jeans and oversize tees and sweatshirts just aren't flattering. Neither are overalls. They just aren't, and had I known this I would have had a lot less pictures to destroy.

.you're not fat.
    .nobody really cares what your gpa/sat score is when you're out of here.
    .nothing's black and white.
    .individualism has nothing to do with just rejecting everything that is the social norm. it's about embracing what you like, no matter who likes it or hates it.
    .drama's tiring. give it up.
    .whoever said life is not fair, i second that.
    .it really is a simple matter of whether it's worth it or not. if it's worth it, give it all you got. if not, let it go and give it to someone else who thinks it's worth it.

jangrl

Question for the night-cream advocates: if I put on a moisturizer with sunscreen in the morning (which I do), would it still do me good to put on some night cream? I don't really feel like adding another potion to the regimen but lately I've become concerned with skin damage prevention so I won't rule it out.

Don't forget to put sunscreen on your hands! They will give your age away every time.

Wrinkles are good if they come from smiling or laughing a lot, bad if they're from scowling. Really, you can tell and it distinguishes beauty

stretch marks show where your body has traveled but it's okay for them to go back home too

the end of formal education does not mean you can stop learning

that's all I can think of for now...

*Oh yes. Moisturize. An ounce of moisturizer in your 20s is worth a pound in your 30s, as the saying goes. I didn't start until *after* I started seeing the tiny lines around the eyes. Oy.

*Floss. Your gums start to recede at 25, flossing helps them stay put. How cutting into them with tiny strings helps keep them strong nobody has yet been able to explain to me, but it really does help.

*Get into good exercise habits. It's easier to stick with a habit than an imperative. Become a walker, and develop an aversion to elevators and always take the stairs.

*Learn to cook and do it. It will save you a lot of money and empty calories.

*Even if you have something really pertinent, poignant, or funny to say, wait until the other person is done talking. They really appreciate it. (Still working on this one.)

*Develop your empathy. Learn how to really listen and experience what the other person is describing.

*(This seems to contradict the above, but they're not mutually exclusive.) This took a long time for me to learn, and has improved my life so much I can't even tell you: It is not selfish to take care of yourself, and to put your own needs before others'. If somebody is making you unhappy, leave them. Don't feel responsible for their unhappiness, don't think you have to fix them or support them or be their crutch or doormat. Nobody else was put on this earth to take care of you (except your parents when you still needed care), so you have to look out for yourself because nobody else is doing it. I don't mean become completely self-centered, being supportive and *being supported in return* is wonderful, but when somebody (other than your child) wants you to be in charge of their happiness, that is co-dependent, harmful, and impossible. Your happiness is no less important than anyone else's, so when someone asks you to sacrifice your happiness for theirs, politely decline the offer and run like hell the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by nicegirl512
    *(This seems to contradict the above, but they're not mutually exclusive.) This took a long time for me to learn, and has improved my life so much I can't even tell you: It is not selfish to take care of yourself, and to put your own needs before others'. If somebody is making you unhappy, leave them. Don't feel responsible for their unhappiness, don't think you have to fix them or support them or be their crutch or doormat. Nobody else was put on this earth to take care of you (except your parents when you still needed care), so you have to look out for yourself because nobody else is doing it. I don't mean become completely self-centered, being supportive and *being supported in return* is wonderful, but when somebody (other than your child) wants you to be in charge of their happiness, that is co-dependent, harmful, and impossible. Your happiness is no less important than anyone else's, so when someone asks you to sacrifice your happiness for theirs, politely decline the offer and run like hell the other way.
    first, this is something i totally believe and have been trying to articulate to some of my friends unsuccessfully. very well put.

i've been trying to think if i can add anything to the great advice and i've come up with this:

get your credit report. if it's bad, do everything possible to fix it right now. if it's good, do whatever is humanly possible to keep it that way. if it's excellent, you rock! pat yourself on the back. and do whatever is humanly possible to keep it that way.

my friend has terrible credit and it's kept her from a car loan (which put her in a real bind) and been an issue when trying to rent an apartment.

my credit is excellent. i bought a car a year ago, and i initially choose the 0% financing when closing the deal with the saleman. when i went to finalize and talk to the finance guy, he told me that because i had excellent credit, if i took the 3.9% financing, the maker would GIVE me $2,000 off the price of the car. i saved $13 on my monthly payment and $780 off the total payment even though i was paying the bank more.

and don't wait on this. it may take years to clear a mark against you.

Stay on top of your student loans! They will NOT go away!

And my best life advice is this: Life is like a ball of string dropped when you are born. With the free end in your hand, it is certain that that ball is going to roll away, unwinding all the way. You have to follow the path it takes if you want to keep up. Jerking at it only makes it go faster and much more unpredictable. Let it roll and roll...enjoy the unwrapping. Look around in wonder at where you are. See where you end up. Before I had children, I believed that we have much more control over who we are as individual people. My son has proved that our quirkiness is very much in-born. I have been the way I am since I popped into existence and I am not going to change. Happiness is not going to come to me because I try to be someone else. Happiness is within me if I only admit to and rejoice in my own freak-of-nature self.

robert frost knew it... i'll say it in my own words
    the easy path is never the right path.

Any time in my life where I took the "easy way out" i just cheated myself and made things more difficult for myself later on.

Feel free to ignore me and take the easy path, but you'll see what I mean.

I'm referring to Robert Frost's "the road not taken"
    I know he's talking about choices you didn't make, but believe me, the easy path is the wrong choice..."I took the road less travelled by and that has made all the difference."

jt

ps another piece of advice, never say bad things about the people you work with to the people you work with, I don't know if I'm completely innocent of this, but when you say nasty things about people behind their backs, some people may nod and agree, but they just form an opinion about you. Plus even if you don't think you'll see them again, trust me you will, unless you work in a very broad industry, people know people and that's how you run into people from your past jobs again. You have to put up with these people for more time than you do with your friends or family, so make the experience pleasant for them and yourself and keep your opinions of them to yourself, and CYA as one of my coworkers says :)

jt

I just wanted to make sure this thread got bumped back to the top for more exposure. There is so much great advice here!

I'm only 21, so I don't really have any advice of my own yet. I am very determined to make the most of my life though. Right now, I'm becoming increasingly interested in savings and personal finance, and I plan on building my savings and investments early and starting now, so that hopefully I can retire very early and travel the world (though I'm already starting to set aside small savings that is designated "travel only" so that I can start travelling now).

I want to always hold onto my dreams and never forget my passions or forsake what makes me happy. I don't plan on wasting my youth, but I'm not going to spend so much time living it up now that I disregard my future either. I'm trying to start eating more healthily, I would like to start running or jogging soon, and I always make sure to dance my heart out instead of drinking my liver out on the weekends. I'm trying to read as much as I can, and sit outside on beautiful spring days. I'm trying to support independent artists and creators as much as possible, and I want to create places where local artists and creators can network and share experiences. I'm trying to get what little I have of my student loan left paid off as quickly as possible, and I don't have a credit card now, and I've recently decided not to get one for the foreseeable future. I'm working hard to get my business dreams off the ground, and I'm getting a lot of good feedback and encouragement from friends. I want to be that person that inspires others, but I also want to always keep inspiring myself.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads