Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

things i wish i had known 10 years ago

i'm in my upper 30s. to all you young chicas out there, here are some things i've learned. hopefully they will come in handy and hopefully other 30/40 + something mamas will chime in advice too! This stuff also works for the present day too!!! Never to late to start!

- always wash your face every night and apply cream. whether you do this or not will show as you get older.

- if you can, invest in your 401K at work! It's a great way to get going on a retirement account. i just looked at my statement and asped in delight at how much I havein there!

- if you have a dream job/goal in mind, start on it NOW. don't wait for it to come to you because it won't you have to do it for yourself and time is a wastin'...

- start a journal or a blog so you can record all the fun things you are doing these days. once you get older, your hard drive in your brain can get overloaded and the little precious quirky details and get squished in a corner.

OK, now you add some life tips (no matter what your age!!)...

2. # ADS

* If your first, second and third impression of someone is that he is an arsehole, trust it. Do not date him, definitely do not marry him.

* always know what kind of car you want before you shop. Only look at those cars.

* you don't have to finish the last cookie or potato chip. No one will starve somewhere else because you 'wasted food'.

* everyone has problems. Sometimes they are huge, sometimes small, but they are important to that person.

Here's some things I wish I had known 10 years ago:

*It is amazing the difference it makes when you find ways to make the little voice in your head say kind things instead of constantly critical things

*Feel free to write a heated email at work. Just don't send it right away - save it, walk away, show it to a trusted coworker or friend, and if they say it's not too nasty, then read it again a few times before sending it off.

*It is important to take vacation time and spend time treating yourself and recharging your batteries. Don't feel guilty - the better you feel, the better you can work and help others. It is a good investment.

*Resist the temptation to be happy when others you dislike fall into misfortune. It may feel good in the short term but in the long term it hurts your spirit. Karma is a real phenomenon I see over & over, and it works in the positive and the negative!

*In your head, start to forgive any of the smaller things you have held against your parents for years. For most folks, they did their best, and in order to grow, you need to let go of the idea that they should have been better, that they should have been superhuman. It will make your heart feel much lighter.

*Don't drive with less than a quarter tank of gas. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzymahoney
    * If your first, second and third impression of someone is that he is an arsehole, trust it. Do not date him, definitely do not marry him.
    Wordymcwordwordword!

Don't keep telling yourself that you'll have fun later. Make plans now to follow your dreams.

Don't stay in a crappy dead end job, just because its secure and you like some of your coworkers.

Keep learning. Don't let your brain turn to goo. Read the newspaper, read nonfiction, read smart fiction, watch nerdy shows, go to lectures, etc.

Keep up with technology. By this, I don't mean buying every new gadget, I mean, learn how to use the popular programs and some of the more obscure ones, depending on your interests.

I will defer to my grandma, who provided me with two bits of wisdom I shoulda listened to-

"any woman can find a husband if she lowers her standards enough"
    LOL! Which kinda goes along with lizzy's-
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzymahoney
    The second needs an explanation I think

"don't have kids until you're ready to not have fun anymore"

Which sounds awful, but what she meant was, you have fun but it's a different kind of fun. You can't just up and quit your job, or wake up one morning and decide to move halfway across the country, or run off on a road trip at the last minute, or stay up half the night drinking and then just sleep it off-- that kind of fun that you can have when you're a single girl. Get all that stuff out of your system first, do your runnin' and have a good time, because it gets alot harder when you have responsibilities. That's what she meant, and I do understand the point she was making. Wouldn't trade the kids for the world and we do have fun, but it does change things.

I'm only 25 so I guess my advice will go to the 15 year olds.

-Learn how to be comfortable in your own skin.

-Don't worry so much about the future that you forget about living in the now. (I'm still working on this one)

-Don't try to keep up with the Joneses. Someone will always have something better than your's. Learn to enjoy what you have and you'll be a lot happier in the long run.

Wait, Craftychica. What kind of cream should I put on my face? I'm getting worried now! Sometimes I use this moisturizer, but I have fairly sensitive skin that breaks out if I so much as look at it wrong, so I'm even careful with that.

My face is at your hands!

ive been debating this for a long time and maybe one of you can help me . . .

to travel or not to travel??

im a college student with student loans already, and working summers to pay off some tuition so i dont need to take loans . . . is it better to travel now and take more loans, or take less loans and travel later?? im sure you can see my predicament im hoping maybe those of you more experienced in life will be able to give me some advice.

(ps im really hoping you say travel now :) i decided when i turned 20 that the next decade would be devoted to seeing the world)

*Cash is better then credit.
    *When you buy a car (new or used) - buy the automotive repair manual too. You'd be surprised how much you can do yourself and how mechanics cannot screw you when you have it as a reference.
    *There is much you can do with the aid of a manual and the right tools.
    *Always seek out a second, third, and even fourth opinion. One person cannot know everything.

[quote="glassprincess"]*When you buy a car (new or used) - buy the automotive repair manual too. You'd be surprised how much you can do yourself and how mechanics cannot screw you when you have it as a reference.
    [quote]

That is similar to my tip. Never EVER say to a mechanic "its making a noise like rrRRrrrRRRrrRRRR!!" Learn how the parts of your car work, learn the names. you dont have to know how to fix it but if you walk into the shop and say something halfway decent you have better chance of not being ripped off. But its not just a money thing is a.... "being an informed, self relient, intellegent consumer" owning a car without knowing how it works is like owning a book without knowing how to read.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads