Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: black. white.

black. white.

anyone else watch this show?
    i'm watching it now and it's slowly destroying any hope i ever had that people can go from being racist to being non-racist (or at least less racist).

there are some interesting moments...

the kids seem more insightful than the parents, for the most part.

(in case you weren't sure, this is a reality show in which two families, one black and one white, switch races and interact in the world.)

2. # ADS

I thought the show was interesting, but had hoped they would all be more open to the experiment.

I think that the daughter was more open and insightful than the son. He didn't feel he needed to change his behavior or mannerisms at the ettiquette class, which was interesting to me.

I had the same hopes nucular, and it does seem like they are really set in their ways!

crap, i forgot to watch this!! how do they switch races - w/ extreme makeovers? how do their friends react?

they just use a whole mess of makeup. apparently, each person spent 3-5 hrs in makeup each day, and then another hour of rubbing to get it off. it's mostly believable, and really striking.
    they haven't yet shown them interacting with people they know, but the strangers around them all seem to buy it.

I missed it, does anyone know if they will rerun it?

i actually saw the first episode when they reran it, so i imagine they'll continue to do so. also, it's an ongoing series, so there should be lots more opportunities to catch it.

I watched the first episode re-run last night and was quite annoyed with the show. Mostly with the white family, I mean, who the frig are these people? The mother says she thought she should high-five everyone and quoted, "what if you talkn' jive when I walk away". ???? Does this woman live in a hole in the ground? She's so corny and irriatatingly nieve that I just want to give her a good shake!
    I'll looking forward to the next episode. I hope they don't throw the "N" word around so much though.

Re: black. white.

Quote Originally Posted by nucular
    anyone else watch this show?
    i'm watching it now and it's slowly destroying any hope i ever had that people can go from being racist to being non-racist (or at least less racist).
    With the exception of Rose they all seem very flat and extremely narrow-minded. And Rose exhibits paranoia on a level which the other participants/actors/characters don't. Brian is busy playing the victim. I'm a firm believer in that people reflect and give back what we give to them. If we show a bit of positivity and understanding and patience, then that shall return to us. If I walk around all day in a grumpy mood, feeling frumpy and ugly, believing that everything is going to go wrong then that's what I'll experience. And that's what I feel like Brian did the entire show. He went out looking for people to be racist, and we find what we look for. I'm not saying that nobody is racist, or that he hasn't experienced racism, but we've all been looked at funny on the street for some reason or another. And while I don't believe that I'm part of a minority, I have experienced discrimination, and it's not a comfortable experience, but that doesn't mean that I walk around searching for that same experience over and over again. I think it's a lot like reading your horoscope, you can read whatever you'd like into it, and the same thing can be done on many levels with human behavior.

The show seems to be furthering racism and the use of stereotypes rather than examining why and how they were formed and what we, as both a society and individuals, can do to break them down, avoid them, and make them obselete. To generalize and say that black people aren't curious, or all white people sit, stand, and walk a certain way is ridiculous. Or Brian's comment about "white society." What in the world is "white society"? Am I a part of it simply because I'm white? Is all of America participating in this "white society"? Where do Asians, Hispanics, and Europeans belong in this "white society"?

As with all "reality shows" I'm curious how much reality and how much coaching, acting, etc. is done.

Just wanted to remind everyone, it's on again tomorrow night.

10:00pm on FX, right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads