seamstresses...i need your opinion

i started the thread about the difficulty of finding a bridesmaid's dress in a plus size. i got tons of great advice from the getcrafty community. my friend who is getting married is now leaning towards getting the bridesmaids dresses made...more specifically, she is thinking of buying a pattern and material for all of the bridesmaids, sending the materials to everyone, and asking them to find someone to make it. we have no idea how much it would cost to have a dress like this made.

Could some of you ladies give me an idea of what you might charge to make a dress like this?

Also, the wedding is in the middle of june. how far in advance would be a reasonable amount of time for somebody to approach you with a project of this type?

[/url]http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod67398637&catId=cat75529

2. # ADS

okay, so i suck at computers. i couldn't figure out how to make the link a hyperlink, and when i cut and paste it, it doesn't work.

so the dress is at jcrew.com, under sale, and then you have to choose a size. choose large and xlarge, then hit dresses. it is called the abby scoop neck ballet dress.

basically, the dress is a simple a line, knee length dress with a slightly empire waste and princess seams. i am not sure what material, it looks like a nice quality cotton.

anyway, thanks for checking it out.

Let's see if this link works:
    http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...catId=cat75529

***ETA: to make an URL a link you don't have to do anything, just post it. As long as it includes the http part it will automatically turn into a link.

Sorry, I can't help you with your question, but it's a nice dress!

Hey there, this is sort of related...

When I got married, I had someone make my wedding dress for me. I bought a pattern (for a very simple sundress-type with spaghetti straps and an empire waist, that just needed to have length added), plus all the fabric and lining and other notions myself. I might have made it on my own but after thinking about it for a while I decided it would be best to let someone else so I didn't have to worry whether it would come out right. Mainly because I chose a really pretty cream-colored Thai silk and real silk for lining, both of which I had gotten for a very good sale price.

A friend of my mom's charged me $10 an hour for the work (this is in a small midwestern town, and they are "church friends" so perhaps a bit more generous than strangers might be with each other). In all I think we paid her about $130 for her time plus maybe another $25 or so for notions we hadn't expected we'd need like extra lining material for the bust area.

And she made hand-rolled spaghetti straps, and gave me three or four alteration visits too.

It turned out really nice, totally simple just how I wanted it. The picture below is from the second fitting--that's about how it looked when it was done.

I don't know where all the bridemaids live, but if possible, your friend should choose one seamstress and talk with her to get exactly what she wants. Bring photos, fabric samples, etc. I don't think she'll need to buy a pattern as the seamstress will likely already have something similar that would work.

The dress itself looks very simple to make, but elegant and flattering to most figures. It also doesn't look like it will need to be lined. My guess is somewhere between $100-200 for a seamstress to make it. The dress my sister wore for my wedding was very similar, but hers had a chiffon overlay. I think she paid about $100 for it.

Also, a seamstress may be able to get better prices on fabrics and notions, so your friend should talk to the seamstress before buying anything besides samples. And the time to start talking to a seamstress is NOW!

thanks so much for the invaluable advice, ladies! i found a pattern and material, and i think the dress will be very affordable to make!
    thanks again!

Remove Ads

Ads