Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

budget living magazine

I don't know what forum this would exactly go in...but i read in another post that budget living mag. has gone defunct. Why? Any other news or confirmation? I went to their website and it was still up,but did show the old xmas/holiday issue. I have been checking the newsstand at work too and looked it up on the database and haven't seen any new issues coming out. I'll be so sad, especially since Chow is on hiatus. !!!

2. # ADS

Sorry it's gone. Had I known that, I wouldn't have ripped out pages of the last issue and actually kept it in perfect condition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/03/bu...fae1de&ei=5087

Maybe it sank because it wasn't as budget friendly as the cover suggested! I loved reading it but I didn't understand why they thought it was "budget-y".

Quote Originally Posted by jennjitsu
    Maybe it sank because it wasn't as budget friendly as the cover suggested! I loved reading it but I didn't understand why they thought it was "budget-y".
    i have the same feelings about it jennjitsu. it wasn't so budget-y, but it had such great ideas.

the editors (i think) have a blog now:

http://www.shelterrific.com/

I think you guys are right--this mag really wasn't "budget" enough for me. When I got my subscription, they sent me a copy of their home decorating book "Home Cheap Home." A good book, but their idea of "cheap" and mine was light-years apart. A sofa bought at Salvation Army and recovered at a cost of $1000? Dining room chairs that cost over $500 apiece? Not my idea of budget living!!

Not my budget either. I don't know which issue, but they had a DIY couch made out of old doors. I dream of doing that some day, but I know I'll never get around to it.

I'm upset about it....I just renewed my subscription in January and they took my money. I have no way to get it back, and no one responds to any emails.

oh man that sucks...yeah, the 'budget' was a bit too high for me, but i liked the ideas plus the '20 someodd things to do to save money'. plus it was a alternative to other home magzz. that sucks that they didn't refund subscribers money...i know when chow took its hiatus it contacted their subscribers.

I had a subscription and one day another magazine called Outside started showing up. I wonder if that was my replacement for Budget Living.

I loved Budget Living when it first came out - it even did a little feature on my neighborhood once (in its regular "featured cool neighborhood" section). I liked its decorating ideas, but yeah, it was never really about "budget". It seemed to get less and less so as time went on, and I just quit buying it in the last year or so.

Didn't its editors put out a book also? I remember hearing that some readers were disappointed that the book was all ideas that had already been shown in the magazine, but I wouldn't mind having it now as a handy all-in-one reference.

Edit: Home Cheap Home is the book (I guess someone already mentioned that on this thread), and I just found it for less than $5 on eBay, including shipping. Now that's what I call "budget".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads