Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

fragrance-free cosmetics

I'm going to an event in a few months where I've signed an agreement not to use scented cosmetic products the entire time I'm there (deodorant, lotion, hair products, etc.); some of the other people attending have an extreme sensitivity and the idea is to create a non-hostile environment for them.

So -- I've got the deodorant (I only use unscented deo anyway), but I'm at a loss for the others. Anyone know where to get other unscented cosmetic products? I'm especially interested in hair products.

2. # ADS

moisturel lotion is truly unscented. it has an odor when you put it on from the ingredients, but that dissipates within a few seconds. you can buy it in the drugstore.

now, hair products? i'm not sure you can find unscented hair products.

may i ask what kind of event this is? i'm curious. is it for highly sensitive people?

:-)

traditional unscented aquanet is the most tolerable hairspray i can think of. it has a slight odor when you spray it (from all the alcohol and adhesives, i think) but once it dries you dont walk around with a cloud around you.

i've been to several events that have a "no fragrance" clause, which i really appreciate, because although i'm not extremely sensitive, i am allergic to fragrances.

i wear unscented deo and i don't put my usual Aveda hair stuff (it has an herbal smell) in my hair. i don't know what kind of hair stuff you use, but if you usually use more of a pomade type product (rather than gel or hairspray) you can just use a tiny blob of unscented hand lotion. it's not as great, but it's better than nothing.

unscented moisturizers are available at any natural foods store, and they should also have unscented makeup. i believe Zia makeup is okay for sensitive people.

Quote Originally Posted by athena
    may i ask what kind of event this is? i'm curious. is it for highly sensitive people?
    No -- it's just a conference. :) One that has an unusually high standard (which is awesome) of accomodating disabilities/allergies/etc.

I actually don't really use styling products in my hair, usually -- but I do use shampoo and conditioner. Given the number of times I get complimented on the smell of my hair, I'm assuming my regular shampoo and conditioner aren't fragrance-free. Anyone know of any shampoos/conditioners that *are* fragrance free?

I would check the Clinique counter. They specialize in hypoallergenic, fragrence free cosmetic and grooming products. My mother, who is very allergic to most fragrances, uses their products for her sensitive skin. Almay in drugstores has hypoallergenic products as well. There are probably good products in your local organic foods grocery store, too.

I have been using these products for a while now, and I really like them: Paula's Choice http://www.cosmeticcop.com/
    They are cruelty free and fragrance free. They also give generous samples for you to try.

Try Ivory products. I believe they manufacture mild and unscented skin/hair/body products.

Neutrogena have stuff that is fragrance free, I think they have a whole range, but that's in the UK.

Also fragrance free isn;t the same as unfragranced. As a gal with allergies, I find fragrance free stuff tends to have more chemicals in, to mask the smell and even though it doesn't smell it can cause discomfort. But that is in direct contact with me, I don't know if it would affect others.

i don't know if this will help, as you've gotten great recommendations so far, but i saw an ad in a recent magazine for a cosmetics company called isadora (i'd never heard of it). they advertized all of their makeup to be fragrance-free and available at drugstores, so at least it will be cheap! but i also suggest that you try natural food stores or whole foods as they have a lot of healthy beauty products. good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads