View Poll Results: Where do you stand on Global Warming?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a disaster - we need to pay attention to what Al Gore is saying

27 75.00%
  • I feel that science has not clearly explained why Global Warming occurs - there are too many questions unanswered

4 11.11%
  • I'm not sure, but I want to get to the bottom of this issue

5 13.89%
  • Global Warming is a crock

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    [
    Personally I think global warming is like evolution - people's minds are already made up and they will always be able to find an "expert" to support their position. The science is actually irrelevant, it's all politics.
    I think you've really touched on something important with that statement. There is an alarming lack of access to truth in the world today. I don't believe we can rely on majority opinion for this reason. Majority doesn't equal truth, but that doesn't mean there isn't good science being done within the majority - we just can't ignore the politics at play within the majority. It is troubling.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Halfnhalf
    I think you've really touched on something important with that statement. There is an alarming lack of access to truth in the world today. I don't believe we can rely on majority opinion for this reason. Majority doesn't equal truth, but that doesn't mean there isn't good science being done within the majority - we just can't ignore the politics at play within the majority. It is troubling.
    Actually I'm more than willing to take the majority expert opinion as truth. Science has done a pretty good job thus far providing us with practical and useful information. I do not believe there is a vast conspiracy to misled the public about global warming.

To me, you are coming down very much in favor of anti-global warming, so the premise of this thread being "torn between the two" seems disengenuous to me.

I wonder, what would be the harm in accepting global warming? (You know, if you aren't the CEO of Exxon)

disengenuous
    Yeah - that's the word I was thinking of too.

[Global warming is definitely happening, but I'm not convinced that mankind is the largest culprit. I wish that there was more agreement on that by scientists because we can't solve a problem unless we can clearly identify it. I hope continued research will unite the scientific community on this subject.
    I acknowledge global warming is happening. I think the topic title was a poor choice and I will change it. However, whether it is the disaster that some make it out to be is another question. That is when we move from fact to theory. The Earth warmed 1 degree in the last century or so: fact. The behavior of CO2 and greenhouses gasses in our atmosphere are well documented and can be considered fact. Exactly what that means as far as future warming and environmental consequences is theory.

I'm not saying a majority can't be right, I'm saying that truth exists outside of, and is not dependent upon, majority or minority opinion.

At one time the majority of scientists in the world thought the Earth was flat.
    Sorry to quibble, but I am an historian of science and medicine and that statement is not true.

At one time the majority of scientists in the world thought the Earth was flat.
    Actually, that's a myth. Scientists were commonly using round earth models from at least the first century Common Era.

This Wikipedia link goes into some detail, including how the myth got started in the 19th century,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

That's very interesting - thanks for bringing that to my attention. I removed the untrue statement.

Another article that disagrees with the alarmist viewpoint:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041902335.html

I think there is more than enough data to bring a reasonable doubt to Al Gore's "end of the world" theory. I agree that we need to make changes in lifestyle and industry. As someone said earlier, we ought to be good stewards of our environment. And we can do this without presenting theory as fact.

And we can do this without presenting theory as fact.
    So, what you are claiming is not a theory presented as fact? You can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    And we can do this without presenting theory as fact.
    So, what you are claiming is not a theory presented as fact? You can't have it both ways.

Have you read any of the articles I cited? I am saying that there is opposition to the doomsday scenario of global warming in the scientific community. Because I am aware of the opposition, I am not going to give myself over to an alarmist viewpoint that has not been scientifically proven.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads