View Poll Results: Where do you stand on Global Warming?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a disaster - we need to pay attention to what Al Gore is saying

27 75.00%
  • I feel that science has not clearly explained why Global Warming occurs - there are too many questions unanswered

4 11.11%
  • I'm not sure, but I want to get to the bottom of this issue

5 13.89%
  • Global Warming is a crock

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Effects of Global Warming (title change)

On one hand we have Al Gore who paints a very frightening picture with his new movie: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/col/...p-346710c.html

And then we have this by an Atmospheric Science professor at MIT who disagrees:
    http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008220

Thoughts?

2. # ADS

Haven't we had this argument before?

I haven't - and I'm not really looking for "argument" in the ugly sense of the word. This has been in the news, so I brought it up for discussion...

*Edited to say: Looking through the "search" function for "Global Warming", I found very little good discussion, but a lot of fighting and defensiveness. Maybe it's time to just share our thoughts without fear of attack? Or just vote anonymously!

we HAVE had this argument before. there's another thread on global warming, which i see you've found.

i study an environmental science at one of the top universities for environmental sciences, and *all* of my professors, who hold advanced degrees in various fields and are generally brilliant and well informed people, are of the consensus that global warming IS happening, and it IS due in part to human activities. yes, there is long term global temperature cycling, but there is a rise in global temps that goes far above anything that can be explained by global cycling.

i've studied global warming in a number of classes, and i could really get into it if you want me to. if you're on the fence, just look for articles in reliable, *peer reviewed* journals (i.e., not "National Geographic", although the G did have a great article on global warming a while ago). see what the consensus is.

if you think science hasn't adequately explained global warming, you might also want to do some journal-searching, because there is a lot of very convincing research.

*edited to sound less pissy; i'm not very good at making my writing "read" with the tone i intend it to.

ok, i know that global warming is real and it's happening so... what can we do at this point? not what can WE do but, the people as a mass who inhabit this planet.... what can 'everyone' do and what do YOU think people are willing to do?

seriously, what changes need to happen first and how? where do we start?

i'd rather find means to a solution than participate in an argument.

The New York Times has a nice Global Warming section:
    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/s...index.html?8qa

"The average surface temperature of earth has increased more than 1 degree Fahrenheit since 1900 and the rate of warming has been nearly three times the century-long average since 1970. Almost all experts studying the recent climate history of the earth agree now that human activities, mainly the release of heat-trapping gases from smokestacks, tailpipes, and burning forests, are probably the dominant force driving the trend. The gases add to the planet's natural greenhouse effect, allowing sunlight in, but preventing some of the resulting heat from radiating back to space. Drawing on research on past climate shifts, observations of current conditions, and computer simulations, many climate experts say that without big curbs in greenhouse gas emissions, the 21st century could see temperatures rise 3 to 8 degrees, weather patterns sharply shift, ice sheets shrink and seas rise several feet...."

I chose the first option. It's interesting to consider that the warmest years on record have all occured in the last decade. That spins me out.

i find it alarming when i talk to people that arent worried about a 1 degree increase in average global temperature. when you consider such an average, the span of the temperatures, and the shear quantity of temperatures involved, its a BFD... it would take quite a bit to raise said average only one point.

yikes.

it's happening, and i chose to try and help the earth by living simply. i live one mile from work, so i either walk or bike. i try not to use too much air conditioning. i think that if people, especially americans, weren't so obsessed with things (cars, big houses that suck up lots of energy, etc), it wouldn't have gotten so bad over the past decade. realistically, it isn't looking good, is it? but we are people and want/need to be optimistic. hopefully more people will wake up and try to live more "simply".

we're basically committed to long term global warming at this point. even if every single combustion engine in the world stopped operating today, the global conditions are such that there would still be a rise in temperature before things started to get better.

living simply is a good start. walking or biking, lowering energy use, and pushing for funding and governmental support for researching alternatives to combustion are all good. things like biodiesel and ethanol are a nice idea politically, but ecologically they don't really reduce greenhouse gases or toxic byproducts. i would be better to just find a complete alternative to burning things for energy.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads