Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crafty Cities!

Crafty Cities!

So I'm thinking about moving soon, and I would really love to live in a city full of other crafty people! I'm from Maine, so it was hard to find crafty groups of young hip people. What cities have you found to be full of crafty people?

2. # ADS

The city I live in is full of creative people of all kinds. I just haven't taken the time to find a group of like-minded crafters to hang out with. Very few of my close friends craft to the extent that I do.
    I don't really know what crafts are hot in my area, but the local JoAnn's and Michael's are never without shoppers!
    AND we have lots of theatre AND music programs (Eastman school of music and Hochstein music school), many galleries too.

Madison, Wisconsin is a great crafty place. There are lots of different groups to join (if that's your thing), plus lots of craft supply stores and specialty yarn shops. Plus, there seems to be an overabundance of those who are artistically inclined. It's a college town, and if being liberal is your thing, there's plenty of that going around, too. There's lots of good schools, communities, and fun things to do here.

I've lived here for almost 10 years now. I still love it.

I love Madison, WI - and being from Maine, you're already used to the cold!

According to this website it's Portland Oregon:
    http://getcrafty.com/home_portland.php

I would have to say Portland, Oregon!! I just moved from there (totally didn't want to and miss it tons!)...they even have Church of Craft there and tons of craft fairs/trunk sales..it pretty much rules. And on top of that it's such an amazing inspiring place, my creative juices have never flowed so freely and I've lived in Tampa, Atlanta, Miami and New York...not that those are particularly crafty places.

i say portland, oregon too!

i just moved from there also... it just feels crafty walking down the street...

not to mention, its close to the coast and you can get yummy coasty foods at the coast.... yumm... and oregon is pretty and within 3 hours of seattle, and the roxy is a wonderful place at 2 am on friday mornings.

i just moved to atlanta from new york. i don't think that i am a southern girl, and the craft scene that is here leaves a lot to be desired. i have been thinking about portland for a while now. maybe in a few years...it is nice to hear good things about it, and that it is crafty.

crafty cities

i like to think athens is pretty crafty. we have started the church of craft here and there are art galleries and cute shops, not to mention a popular music scene. i like athens cos i can study trapeze, which i am not sure that most cities have. i love the cafés and restaurants here, too.

Madison is a pretty crafty city. It has some great yarn stores, The Glitter Workshop sells DIY artists on consignment and hosts several craft fairs a year at a local bar, our farmer's market is huge, and as one of the most liberal cities in the country you are going to get your fair share of the DIY ethic and anti-corporate options (for example, there are several co-ops and locally owned small grocery stores and in addition to the large weekly farmer's market on the capital square each side of town has a smaller version). There are also a lot of sheep and wool festivals in the summer. I belong to two crafting groups and was just invited to join another - the only problem is finding the time to go to meetings.
    Despite the cold (but not really much snow) people love the outdoors here. Biking is incredibly popular (and I usually count at least half a dozen hybrids on any given shopping trip). I think Madison was one of the first cities to have a CSA program. The city is on an isthmus between two lakes and has a public terrace designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The city also actively controls sprawl and building codes (no building can be taller than the capital and businesses get incentives for building in the downtown area).
    Milwaukee seems rather crafty as well - I've been to some yarn stores out there and a great craft fair (run by one of our getcrafty ladies).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads