Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

need help gaining weight

I'm 20 years old, 5'2 and 92 pounds. I have tried gaining weight for years. Some things have helped but nothing works like I want it to. I'm too broke to buy weight gaing powders from GNC, plus the taste gets really old, really fast. I have a busy schedule so i don't have alot of time to eat, plus like I said I'm on a budget. Any suggestions? Any tips? Ultra fattening recipies? I would love to hear from someone who perhaps is or was in the same situation.

2. # ADS

i can't personally help you. gaining weight is one of my main skills in life, and i can do it with no effort.

i have a friend, however, who is in your boat. she's a former gymnast, but she's just a tiny, tiny little person. she says that nothing she has tried has really helped. if she eats a lot of fatty food, she just feels sick.

the thing is, you probably don't want to just gain fat. to gain muscle, you need to work out. you could run for 15 or 20 minutes a day, or lift weights. if you don't want to go to a gym, you can alwaus use milk jugs with water or sand in them as weights.

Oh I hear you.....I was quite the skinny miss in my teens/early 20's. But really in my early teens was when i was a little underweight and yet I ate like a horse.
    My older sister is 5' 2.5 inches and has stayed in the 108-110 weight range for years. I think stella is on the right track with the weight workout suggestion. Adding muscle can help. Although 92 lbs doesn't seem terribly underweight for your height to me.
    and don't forget that you are still young, and will likely "fill out" your frame a bit more in the next several years.

You could try Ensure Plus - the drinks with lots of calories and vitamins. It might be a good combination with the muscle building. And Ensure doesn't taste that strange (actually, I kind of like it).

Quote Originally Posted by craftytricks
    You could try Ensure Plus - the drinks with lots of calories and vitamins. It might be a good combination with the muscle building. And Ensure doesn't taste that strange (actually, I kind of like it).
    i have a friend who's doctor suggested this for her metabolism problem.

the important thing for you is not to skip meals. if you're busy eat energy bars or bring healthy snacks. you should probably be eating about 5 meals a day. that's what my friend william did. he'd do breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner (and sometimes another snack). if he didn't eat that much he'd start getting super skinny again. even with eating that much he was pretty darn skinny.

so the best bet. . . eat. don't skip meals if you're busy. and don't think that super fatty food's the way to go, remember you want to take in healthy calories not bad ones.

now go eat something!
    erika

thanks for the advice

thanks for the advice. i especially liked the one about the ensure. i'm going to go try that one definately. I do also work out. I don't do any cardio though. I'm actually planning on being a personal trainer so that's another reason why i'm interested in gaining a little weight. I'm not sure if I'll get alot of clients being as small as I am.

I've struggled with gaining weight too, and what I've come to realise is that you don't know your ideal weight until your lifestyle is healthy. Eat well, exercise, and then you'll know! I work really hard to eat well, and I get lots of exercise, and I'm still technically "underweight." But because I'm healthy and I'm gaining a bit of muscle, I know I'm ok. Of course watch out for things like hair loss and amennorhea (sp?), but the BMI stuff is not so important.

my DH is having the opposite problem you are. he's "overweight" by army standards... and when he started working out more, he started GAINING weight.

try adding in more cardio workouts... mainly cross country style running/ biking. wanting to be a trainer you probably know this... but go for repetition (distance/time) instead of amount of weights. thats what worked for me when i wanted to tone up... i ended up gaining about 15 lbs

right after you work out eat some peanut butter or beans or something with protein and that tends to help you add weight/muscle.

if theres a costco in your area find someone with a membership to pick you up some organic style protein bars. you get them a lot cheaper if you buy a lot of them. clif bars are WAY yummy.

and after you have gone and tried everything... you should try speaking to a nutritionist. they might just tell you that you are just going to be a small person no matter how hard you try.

and like mindshare said... its not about your bmi that matters. its that you are healthy. there are PLENTLY of small people who are in great shape an are really healthy, just small.

Oh when I saw this I was happy!

I have had the same problem since high school. Unfortunately I am now 24 years old and am still struggling to keep the weight on... I am 5' 3" and barely 105 pounds, and this is good for me, seeing as how I was 92 three years ago. I realize that I do have a high metabolism and that it will eventually slow down as I get older.

But for the mean time, I have found a couple of things that work for me. Make sure that you eat high "healthy fat" content foods like avocado, nuts, peanut butter, things like that. I found a couple of years ago that if I at least eat avocado once a day, I significantly gain weight. Also make sure that you eat protein every day like meats and poultry. Make sure that you find time to eat at least three times a day, I eat smaller portions at least five times a day. The people at my work understand my dilemma so the allow me to eat whenever I can. Exercise really does help, I don't get a lot of it myself but I do go to school on a very hilly campus which makes great exercise when I'm going to class. When you exercise, your muscles grow and are able to store more nutrients and thus you gain weight.

I understand that you are on a budget with time and money, I am myself, but I find that I need to sacrifice some things in order to keep myself at a healthy weight, which is most important not only now but in the long run.

I hope this helps!

I have the opposite problem (I gain weight easily) but my partner is super skinny and is an athlete. His doctor recommended putting olive oil on EVERYTHING. Salad? Add extra olive oil on his. Pasta? Ditto. Pizza? Drizzle that oil on. It helps add calories (and healthy calories - olive oil is good for you) without forcing you to eat more or substantially larger meals.

Perhaps a little oil decanter on the table, like they have in italian restaurants, woudl remind you to douse your food with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads