citation/reference software?

I think there are lots of people on this board who frequently have reason to write academic papers, yes? Do any of you use any reference/citation software (a la EndNote)? Any particular recommendations? Any you love or hate? Things to look for?

I've been thinking about getting one for years ... but I'm about to start my dissertation (eeek) so now seems like the time.

2. # ADS

I've been thinking about getting EndNote myself (I've been using Refworks, which is free through my university library, but doesn't help with citations within the paper) and a classmate suggested that I get it on Ebay, so I've been tracking what the going rate is there...

I use EndNote. Pretty much everyone in my field uses it, though I do have one firend that likes Reference Manager. I like EndNote because you can access PubMed through it...though I wish you could import directly from PubMed into your EndNote rather than having to do this big search through the EndNote interface, but that is my little peeve. Plus, you can usually access the entire article abstract with it.

Dissertation time! Scary! The upshot of my program is that the dissertaion isn't a really big deal - sort of staple your papers together and write a big intro. I get the impression that actually writing a dissertation is a way bigger deal in most other programs, though.

I love EndNote - I can't say enough great things about it. I am guessing I'm in amygdala's field as well (based on her name) and we also use it because of its connection to PubMed. I also like how it has a bunch of standard bibliography formats for different journals and stuff built into it.

I did however recently hear an EndNote horror story from someone writing her thesis. Some how she moved some paragraphs around and EndNote got confused and messed up all her citations. So it's probably best to pay attention to that kind of thing, because that sounds like a mess to clean up.

Ah EndNote - I love it!

I love Endnote. I'm not in any field that uses anything with "med" in its name, but you can download citations from most university libraries, as well as the Library of Congress. I take notes on books in the "notes" field on Endnote, which means that I can always find my notes easily. I am not the world's most organized person, so that's nice.

I've had some problems with formating in the past, but I've used it quite a bit with the latest version of Endnote and the latest version of Word, and so far so good. I would definitely recommend that you back up regularly, though. Actually, back up everything regularly.

i just try to keep track of things in my head and on randomly printed papers, but it's not that great of a system. i never even considered the existence of a piece of software that could help manage citations.

i use PubMed a lot, so EndNote might be cool... but i probably won't really need it for a while.

I've never personally used it, but I've heard lots of good things about EndNote.

One of my old co-workers was so excited when he got it that he called his mother on the other side of the country to tell her about it. Though from what he said, she wasn't as happy for him as he was for himself. :P

Yeah, I forgot to say that I really like how well EndNote synchs up with Word. It is called "cite while you write" and it is just what it sounds like. And you can export your citation library to multiple computers so you can work on your laptop and then add to it on the lab computer. Hypothetically.

(hijack) oh my, another crafty neuroscientist? We should hang out and embroider synapses! Which I have, in fact, done.

continuing the hijack...

do you have pics of embroidered neurons? i should try that...

sounds like you'd need a pretty tiny needle.

okay, sorry.

on a different but vaguely related hijack, does anyone know of a non-crappy program for drawing chemical reactions? preferably one that runs on a Mac, doesn't blow, and isn't $2000.... i have IsisDraw but it's a pain in the ass. if i were more internet-savvy and less honest, i would try to "stumble upon" an "illegal" copy of ChemDraw, but that wouldn't be nice.

Remove Ads

Ads