Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Movies from your early years..

My sister surprised me with a little gem from our childhood for my 30th birthday. She sent me a DVD of the Electric Grandmother. Does anyone remember this movie? Talk about taking me back in time. The orange juice out the finger is the BEST. Another friend bought me The Private Eyes with Don Knotts and Tim Conway. I love the old school slapstick in that movie.

What are some movies that may be bad "now" but you cherish because you grew up with them? (Forgive me if there is already a thread about this)

2. # ADS

We really didn't go to the movies much when we were little. But I know that the 1st movie my sis and i went to was "Cinderella" at the drive-in. I was only 4, but I still remember it quite well.
    And when Disney released it on video for the 1st time, you can be sure i ran out to get it!

heh, mine will be really old. Two b&w faves are Witness for the Prosecution with Marlene Dietrich and The Heiress with Olivia DeHavilland. Both incredibly strong women wronged by men, or the story of my life.

Movies I remember fondly from driveins with my dad are "Our Man Flynt" with James Coburn and "Dirty Harry" with Clint Eastwood.

The original movie The Producers with Zero Mostel was hilarious, as was The President's Analyst with Godfrey Cambridge.

Underrated but more modern: To Wang Fu, Love Julie Newmar.

The movie I recommend most often to people who haven't seen it is Harold and Maude. I understand Lillian Gish finally made some money from that before she died.

One movie I saw as a kid and forgot about til I had to work with rats for a learning theories class was "The Secret of NIMH", I loved that movie but I haven't seen it in ages. I should try to find it so my kid can watch it, I think it was great , especially for the time.

I'm not sure I have a specific movie from my childhood that I cherish. But I remember that the first "grown-up" film (as in, not an actual children's movie) that I saw in the cinema was either Big (w/ Tom Hanks) or Big Business (w/ Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin). They're both from 1988 so I'm not sure which one of them I saw first, I only remember feeling so grown-up when I went to see them. I was about 7 or 8 years old, probably tagged along with my older sisters.

We didn't have a VCR when I was little so I only saw films in the cinema or when they were on TV (and we didn't have cable/satellite TV). So I haven't really seen any movie a lot of times.

I have fond memories of folding airplanes out of the movie tickets, though, and staring at the ceiling because I was fascinated with the fading lights before the movie started... Probably ruined my eyes. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by april again
    One movie I saw as a kid and forgot about til I had to work with rats for a learning theories class was "The Secret of NIMH", I loved that movie but I haven't seen it in ages.
    Ooh, I remember that I loved the book...I should re-read it. Haven't seen the movie.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks!
    Escape to Witch Mountain!
    Pete's Dragon!
    Charlotte's Web!
    The Black Hole!
    Popeye!
    Herbie the Love Bug!
    The Bad News Bears!
    and duh... Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi!

I have a large collection of movies from my childhood. I'd love some more classic Disney movies, such as Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. I'm also itching to get the Little Mermaid when it come out special. I remember the Secret of Nimh! I think I have a crappy recorded copy somewhere.

Other movies I'd love a copy of that remind me of childhood:

Return to Oz
    Quackbusters
    Oliver and Company
    The Aristocats
    The Great Muppet Caper

In fact, I'd love the Series I of the Muppet Show as well, I loved that show and Sesame Street growing up. I just got Follow That Bird! Wee!

Was Lillian Gish in Harold & Maude? I certainly don't remember seeing her in it.

ohmidog! You're right, Katrin. I keep picturing Lillian Gish, but it was Ruth Gordon. Guess now I've got to rent it again.

Harold & Maude is absolutely one of my very favorite films. It first came out when I was in 8th or 9th grade, and when I first saw it in a college film festival I was thrown back into the fashions of my early teenage years. I even had a leather & bead necklace just like one around the neck of one of Harold's potential dates. It doesn't hurt that the movie is so wonderfully twisted and funny, either.

Young Frankenstein.
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads