Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I just want to say I am overjoyed to hear there are so many other ziploc bag-washers out there!!! I thought I was perhaps the only person in the world who was waste-obsessed enough to do that!!!

And vinegar makes an excellent mirror/glass cleaner as well.

2. # ADS

Regarding plastic bags...

they make perfect trash can liners. I never understood why people bought trash can liners when you can get them for free.

question about ziplock bags. I'd like to start washing them but how do you get the inside dry? do you dry the outside and then turn the inside out??

Usually you can just kinda prop it open side down and it will air dry. If it's a smaller ziploc with flimsier plastic, you could open it, upend it over a spice bottle or coffee mug or whatever to dry. Largish ones maybe over a paper towel holder.

Re: Disposable culture

Quote Originally Posted by LolitaContrer
    The latest is disposable toilet scrubbers. Whats up with that?! I understand the matter of convienance and that they may in fact be biodegradable, but what about all those disposabel razors, diapers, forks, plates, napkins, clorox clean wipes, dish sponges, etc.
    First, I want to apoligize for replying before I've even read past the first message but anyways... I do think living in a disposable culture as we do is depressing, but as far as disposable toilet scrubbers go I'm all for them. Don't get me wrong, I do want to protect the environment, but beforfe the environment comes me [I know, I know, it's selfish]. Having gotten terribly sick before and getting ping-pong reinfections of things such as pink eye and other nasty kinds of bacterial infections from people I live with has made me somewhat paranoid about germs in kitchens & bathrooms and toilet scrubbers can be horrendously nasty. If I can just use it and flush it down the toilet or throw it out rather than having it breed bacteria in my bathroom, I'm all for it. And we do use disposable sponges at my house but we keep them for a while. It's not like we use them once and then immediately throw them out. You'd be surprised at how long some of these new disposable products actually last if you simply don't throw them out.

ETA: If someone could tell me the proper ratio of vinegar to water for getting rid of nasty soap scum on a glass shower door I'd really appreciate it :) Thanks!

You know, a toilet brush is gross, but if you think about it, most of the time you're using cleanser to clean the toilet. Wouldn't it make sense that the bacteria are getting washed away down the toilet. rathar than sitting in wait for you in the bathroom. If you don't brush your teeth with it, and it lives under the sink after it dries, then you'll probably be ok. I like what someone said earlier, if we had to live more than a few days with our owh trash, i don't think everything would be disposable. Also, I have a scrubby dish brush that you just refill with soap all the time. after I use it i jiust toss it in the dishwasher, no more germs.

There are some great, thought-provoking ideas in this thread, thanks for sharing them. I know I will probably never be as conscientious on this as I should be, but I've gotten better over the years - more aware and trying hard to be less disposable and use less harsh cleansers - so at least if I get better, that's something.

One thing that helps is our town charges for garbage bags. I think that is a great thing - if you hit folks in the pocketbook, they probably do create less waste and recycle more.

A particular bugaboo of mine is the mounds of waste generated by electronics/technlogy. Oops, my monitor is 7 weeks old, I must go get the latest and greatest.

I feel like we get totally brainwashed that our telehphony and computer hardware & software becomes obsolete so quickly. I start to think, well hey, if this computer is so darn crappy now, why did you say it was so great a year ago? How much power do we truly need at our fingertips?? It makes me angry, working in IT, that we have to toss so much gadgetry and only a handful of folks have found ways to reuse parts effectively.

(Like having donations of old cell phones for the elderly to use for 911 calls only - because an old phone will still put thru 911 calls, at least in some areas.)

Quote Originally Posted by LolitaContrer
    You know, a toilet brush is gross, but if you think about it, most of the time you're using cleanser to clean the toilet. Wouldn't it make sense that the bacteria are getting washed away down the toilet. rathar than sitting in wait for you in the bathroom. If you don't brush your teeth with it, and it lives under the sink after it dries, then you'll probably be ok. I like what someone said earlier, if we had to live more than a few days with our owh trash, i don't think everything would be disposable. Also, I have a scrubby dish brush that you just refill with soap all the time. after I use it i jiust toss it in the dishwasher, no more germs.
    They are good points but I'm just paranoid after getting way too sick one too many times. If I can find a way to just get rid of the germs by putting them in a bag and throwing them out of the house, then I'll do it. Now I'm not as paranoid as I sound. When I Lysol-ed all the knobs and door handles in the house I think I used all of 2 paper towels on a 3 story house [And yes, I use paper towels for cleaning sometimes, but as few as possible]. We use dishrags and use the disposable sponges 'til they're absolutely hideous or falling apart and rather than buying the new carwashing shammies we use old t-shirts and cotton shorts. We burn candles down to the tiniest little nubs even tho' the warning labels say not to [And why is it necessary to place warning labels on a freaking candle? Is the majority of our society really that unintelligent?] And we get recyclables picked up once a week and they take paper & cardboard so we've really cut back on what is actually getting thrown out. I even figured out that my hair looks better when I don't blow dry it, so I'm using less electricity and I use the same towels for a few days before laundering them because if I'm wrapping the same towel around my freshly shampoo'd hair is it really that unsanitary for me to do the exact same thing with it again two days later? [And I don't shower everyday, it seems silly. If I smell okay I think my co-workers can overlook the slightly greasy ponytail.] Ya know what absolutely appals me, and this isn't directly related to disposable culture but rather to the use of energy and electricity, people who leave lights on and other electronics. It's not necessary to have your bedroom light on and the hallway light on while we're going out to dinner! [I say this in response to my boyfriend who hardly ever turns his bedroom light off before we go out unless I ask him to, and he has gotten better about it but it still bugs me sometimes.] When I was old enough to turn something on I was taught when you're done with it to turn it off. Because stereos are instant-on appliances (meaning they use a small amount of electricity for the entire duration they're on, like televisions) I unplug it when I'm not using it. Is it really that hard to put a plug into the wall? Or does plugging something it constitute recognition of our own excessive uses of electricity? I always always always turn the lights off if I'm walking out of a room for more than a minute. It doesn't expend that much energy to turn a light back on if you turned it off and decide to go back to doing whatever it is you were doing before you got up. And unless you're in a basement or doing fine embroidery, ya really don't need a lamp on in the middle of the day. That's my rant. I'll stop now.[/i]

For anybody looking for a good read, Amy Dacyzyn's Tightwad Gazette books are great. Her main focus is being frugal, but in doing so also does a huge amount of creative recycling.

I bought her 3-in-1 book a couple years ago and re-read it all the time, very much worth the $$. Some of her ideas are a little over the top for me, and she also has alot more storage space, but the mindset is great.

Regarding drying baggies:

I made a dryer for them. I took a wad of fimo I had sitting around, and made it into a base, flat on the bottom and rounded on the top. Then I grabbed some saved chopsticks from take out chinese means, and poked them into the top of the fimo, pointy side up. I pulled them out, then baked the fimo base, and when it was cool I glued the sticks back in with craft goop. I wash the baggies inside out, then put them on the holder to dry. (One thing I'd do this time - embed something heavy like a washer or something in the bottom, to make it heaver).

I also clip the big ones to my set of hanging metal tiered baskets with clothes pins.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads