Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I livein the land of street harassment, well at least that'd how it seems. I usually yell back and the harasser gets a bit put off becuase they don't expect a lady to curse them, or tell them off.

There's a great film about a woman's project on street harassment...the title escapes me, but my feminist group invited her to come view her doc and speak. I'm really kicking myself for not remembering her name, but I'm pretty sure you could find a link from the street harassment website noted in an ealier post. She confronts men who cat-call/whistle/etc, and it's pretty awesome. I also know there's a counter-street harassment project, in which women go out in groups and if they are encountered, they yell back.

2. # ADS

I try my best to ignore street harassers because I know they are just trying to get a rise out of me. But if I am in a particularly foul mood, I will yell back at them.

While reading everyone else's responses I came up with a new one of my own that I think I'll try out the next time I get harassed: "And I've got brains, too...which means I know to stay away from assholes like you!"

There's a great film about a woman's project on street harassment...the title escapes me, but my feminist group invited her to come view her doc and speak. I'm really kicking myself for not remembering her name, but I'm pretty sure you could find a link from the street harassment website noted in an ealier post. She confronts men who cat-call/whistle/etc, and it's pretty awesome.
    it's war zone by maggie hadleigh-west. i love that film. it was inspirational in my career/research line choice.

Take their picture! Have you seen Holla Back's site?
    http://hollabacknyc.blogspot.com/

Putting up pics of the street harrassers is a good punishment I think. And if they see you taking their picture maybe they'll lay off.

it really bothers me that it's "okay" to ignore harrassers. their behavior is unacceptable, but we are made to feel like it's our fault and we should just ignore them. fuck no. they need to be made aware that what they are doing is *not* okay. if a man whistled at you in the hall at work or school, it would be sexual harrassment, and that's what it is on the street.

Somehow I thought that that would stop once I hit my twenties, but apparently not.

I walked home from the dealership earlier in the year, after dropping my car off for an oil change. I had people scream at me out of the car, honk atme. It was embarrassing. Not a lot of people. Just like, twice it happened.

I've had people scream "Hey blondie!!" out of thier cars, honk at me, whistle, yell out "Whooooo" when I went to get chinese food last week. I assume it's just carfulls of bored high school boys, because that's what it sounds like.

Some sick and twisted part of me takes it as a compliment. I think that that has to be some weird social thing. That somehow because people are screaming things at me, I must not be bad looking. Which is completely stupid, and it annoys me to even think things like that. Does anyone else have that? It's not that I LIKE the behavior at all.

I often wish I were a guy simply so I would never have to deal with that stuff. I hate how people think it's okay to scream things out of cars at people, or just say stuff when we walk by.

Since it's people in cars whizzing by, there's no way I can say things back. They're gone and half the time I have no clue who it even was.

My personal remedy is to wear headphones and listen to music. I do that and suddenly no one yells anything out of cars, and it's very nice.

The cat-calling has happened to me maybe only a couple of times. Living in a city that has one of the largest populations of Deaf and hard of hearing people, makes it very easy for me to just pretend I didn't hear a thing! I'm not terribly quick with comebacks, so it would be a waste of my energy to either look in their direction, or try to formulate a response that didn't sound totally lame, ie: Have no impact whatsoever.

I am more likely to have a male comment on my voice, which is deep and apparently can sound quite sultry at times. Think somewhere between Jamie Lee Curtis and Kathleen Turner.
    Once I was in a gas station asking for a pack of cigs, and the guy at the counter just said "WOW!!". Nothing dirty, just a look of surprise/wonderment at the sound of my voice. I got a kick out of that reaction!

Way back when I was a Junior in HS, I ended up having to take summer school classes. Every morning I had to walk by a small road construction crew, and there was the most adorable guy working on the crew. Tall, Dirty blond hair, and very muscular! (SIGHHHHHH!!!) He didn't look much older than me. anyway, we would smile at each other and say "HI"every morning. Finally one morning he said to me "You have the most beautiful smile!". WOW!! Now you know that gave me the biggest lift, and my smiles for him were probably 10 times bigger after that! And then they finished their work, and were gone! :(

It's really interesting to me that while I would have no problem at all being on the giving or receiving end of a friendly smile (a la sewlittletime's post), I couldn't even imagine hootin' and a-hollerin' at some guy or gal walking down the street.

Walking around in the city, I don't experience much in the way of catcalls, but there's plenty of honkin'-and-starin' as the trucks whiz by. Honestly, that doesn't really bother me (though, as I say above, I can't imagine doing it someone myself; maybe because there's no cache at being honked at by a woman in her late 20s in a Subaru?).

What does bother me is people who in a one-on-one situation make uncomfortable comments, like the following:

whilst at work
    He: That's a nice dress.
    Me: Thanks. That's one of the cool things, I think, about being a chick. Dresses are ridiculously easy, and all day long people are asking why I look so nice.
    He: Yeah, easy. They're easy access, too.
    walking to my car on the street
    He: Hey, where'd you get that T shirt?
    Me: Oh, on a trip to Florida.
    He: Did you get those two beauties inside it in Florida, too?
    Me: No, sir, those are homegrown.
    In all eloquence, I ask: WTF?!!

artgeek~
    Some guys can be so crass!!
    I mean, s**t! I've commented to my lovah boy on how *wink-wink* my dress he liked was "easy access"!
    But for him to say that to you, his co-worker, was way out of line!!

don't worry too much. it'll stop. i am not talking about social progress, not that. it's just that people generally stop harassing you in the street once you hit 34. (and i live in italy, the world capital of street harassment).
    Maybe in Italy, but not here. It has nothing to do with how you look, hence age is not an issue. It's about power, not sex.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads