Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you know if you're depressed?

Just to clarify: I know I'm not seriously depressed because I don't have any of the harsher symptoms like suicidal thoughts, wanting to sleep constantly, etc but I am experiencing extreme fatigue on a daily basis plus a general lack of enthusiasm, motiviation and joy.

So, is that depression or just the blues? I know it's kind of a silly question and maybe kind of vague but I just can't decide if I should go to the doc or just chalk it up to a funk..I also get kind of lightheaded and just can't focus on ANYTHING. There's nothing extremely bad going on in my life nor is there anything great going on..I just don't know..

SIGH. :) Any help would be grrrrrrreatly appreciated.

2. # ADS

It could be depression, or it could simply be a lack of something in your diet, or, it could be "the blues." I'm a lot of help, I know.

It doesn't hurt to *talk* to your doctor. You could be slightly anemic or have a low B Vitamin intake. Most of the B Vitamins are water soluble, except B6 I think, so it doesn't hurt to take Vitamin B tabs. The doctor (or your friendly neighborhood nurse practitioner) can have 'em check your iron levels for anemia.

Or maybe you are just in a funk. When I feel like the blues have just got a hold on me, I try:

something new. A new coffeeshop, a new craft, a new book, a walk in a different neighborhood AND/OR

something old. Revisted an old favorite book/movie. Call up an old friend. Buy a Bonne Belle LipSmacker and feed the ducks (not that one has anything to do with the other, but they both remind me of happy childhood times).

((((((good luck)))))

p.s. general disclaimer: some depression isn't fixable by stuff in my last post. which is fine. aint no shame in needing something else/more/different.

pfizer has a very good website on depression:
    http://www.zoloft.com/zoloft/zoloft....=depr_symptoms

Basically, if you have certain symptoms for at least two weeks, you could be medically depressed. It's worth a look.

Pfizer also has a vested interest in you taking their pharmaceutical products, so i would take anything they have to say about depression with a massive grain of salt.

i would go to your doctor first. it really might be something as simple as mild anemia or even spring allergies, or you could just be having a spell of blue-ness, or you could be depressed. luckily, there are trained professionals out there to help you so you don't have to figure it all out on your own!

Here is a link to the National Institute of Mental Health's page on depression. It should be a good place to start if you want to find out more info.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/healthinform...essionmenu.cfm

It's been my experience that having the blues or being in a funk becomes depression when your bad (or sad) mood start to affect your life on a regular basis. Like if you withdraw from your friends and family, no longer enjoy doing activities you used to like, start performing poorly at work/school, etc.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

i agree wtih getting checked for anemia. i was feeling the same way (just generally crappy), got checked out, and that's what i had.

then recently i was feeling the same way again, but this time with extreme fatigue and weird joint pains, and it turned out that i had lyme disease! so even if it seems silly, go to the doctor! there might be something else wrong with you.

I find depression is a tricky thing. Almost every time I've gone to the doctor and said I was feeling run down and they couldn't come up with a better ansewer to what could be wrong with me *BOOM* they stuck me on depression meds.
    The problem I had was that none worked for me. Some just made me feel like I wasn't even myself, while others just made me really hyper.
    Recentely, my doctor started me on a med for narcolepsy, which he said, is what I must have. I get tired all the time. I think everyone does, but I was looking for some info on how to just naturally feel better. The meds worked for a while, but now I'm back to feeling slugish and sleepy. I just choose to get up and make myself do something now.
    When I pay more attention to what I'm putting into my body and the exercise I'm getting I notice a real difference. Even more important for me, is noticing when something is on my mind that is causeing stress. If I can fix it, I will, If I can't-then I forget about it!
    I'm not sure if this helps, but just know that everyone gets the blues sometimes. Try eatting a big salad, or going for a long walk in the park or in the woods. I betcha you'll feel pretty good afterwards!

exercise is a good thing to remember. it sounds almost insulting to hear that you'll feel better if you exercise, but it's true, if even on a biological level. when you work out (for it's own sake, not working hard for a job or yard work) your body shoots all kinds of feel-good chemicals.

Being someone with bipolar disorder, I have to say generally if you realise there is a problem then you're most likely not depressed.

Sorry just to note though: it's a sensitive topic I know, so don't take my word for it. And you probably don't want to take any chances. Speaking from my own experiences I just sort of emotionally plumetted but sort of thought it was normal? Like I was meant to feel that way since i'm worthless and so on so forth. It made sense to me.

So what i'm trying to say is generally if you realise that there's something wrong, then you're most likely not actually suffering from depression as a mental disorder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads