Thread: luggage

luggage

I have a couple of long trips coming up. I've always owned cheap luggage, and now everything I have has little wheel malfunctions, tiny rips, etc.

I need something lightweight, wheelable. I was thinking maybe one bag that could hold 1-2 weeks' worth of stuff, one that is a little smaller. Maybe one big duffel, one wheeling suitcase? But I dunno.

Any suggestions? Where do you get your luggage, reasonably priced but not crappy?

2. # ADS

i've seen some really good deals on nice stuff at TJ maxx.

I second TJ Maxx. I purchased hard shell cases with the 4 spinny wheels for about $80 each a couple of years ago. They have been thrown in several cars, airplanes and other conveyances and seem to be holding up very well.

I third TJ Maxx and I would also check out Marshall's if you have those in your area. They have great deals on good quality luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by amaryllis
    I third TJ Maxx and I would also check out Marshall's if you have those in your area. They have great deals on good quality luggage.
    Ditto. I shop for luggage and purses at both TJ Maxx and Marshall's and if I'm patient I usually find something very nice and marked down a lot.

We got some nice Ricardo luggage marked way down at Macy's and have been happy with it.

That being said...i also love TJ Maxx as well!!

We just got this one from QVC and I love it. It would definitely suit your needs:

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?...e&SearchClass=

It has all the pockets, which are really handy. And it is lightweight before you pack it - and has wheels and a handle. But the thing I like about it the most is that the top part that you unzip - it unzips completely (at the back, though, so you can't tell this from looking at the picture) and the top folds out. What this means is that you can see all your stacks of clothes. You don't have to plunder through it from the top in order to find something on the bottom. This is especially handy if you are living out of it for a while and don't want to unpack.

ETA - It's the Rolling Organizer on that page.

xuli, I already talked to you about this, but I wanted to respond in-thread for the benefit of others ...

I have Air Canada luggage that has lasted INCREDIBLY well. I have two suitcases, one roller carry-on suitcase, and a smaller soft sided bag. I fly at least 2 times a year, sometimes 4 or 5, and I ahve had this luggage since Christmas 2001 (it was my Christmas gift from my parents when I decided to move accross the country).

The following characteristcs have helped it stay together:

- high quality, heavy-duty zippers
    - the wheels are actually roller-blade wheels and are very durable
    - the corners are all reinforced with rubber padding (kind of like a bumper car) and I think they must absorb most of the wear and tear
    - the back has rubber lines which absorb most of the stress of it being tossed around'
    - it's made of some kind of ripstop fabric which seems to prevent holes forming from hitches in the fabric

I use a large backpack when, well, backpacking or travelling to very rustic areas, but this luggage has lasted extrememly well, even for a super frequent flyer! My sis had American Tourister luggage which fell apart after three years.

Quote Originally Posted by delqc
    The following characteristcs have helped it stay together:

- high quality, heavy-duty zippers
    - the wheels are actually roller-blade wheels and are very durable
    - the corners are all reinforced with rubber padding (kind of like a bumper car) and I think they must absorb most of the wear and tear
    - the back has rubber lines which absorb most of the stress of it being tossed around'
    - it's made of some kind of ripstop fabric which seems to prevent holes forming from hitches in the fabric
    Wow, that is a great list of what to look for (and more detail than what you gave me in private, so thanks!)

And thanks to everyone else who weighed in -- y'all gave me some great places to look!

xuli, I got a Skyway 29" expandable, wheeled case for my daughter to take to Europe. I ordered it from E-Bags.com, and since it was a discontinued color, I snagged it for $36 and free shipping. She spent two weeks in Europe with it, and it held up really well.

Remove Ads

Ads