How to price products when selling to retail stores?

Hi~
    Craft biz Q....
    I`ve just started making print gooco postcards/ notecards under the name `kindled` and will be extending my line to bags and purse shortly. I`ve already registered my etsy shop as kindled.etsy.com , but will not start posting stock for a week or so.
    One of my friends has an online shop where I hope to place stock and I will be approaching a few local art/ retail stores that seem to fit the image of the brand.
    My Q is how do I price my goods for these, so that I and of course the store itself still makes a profit? For example if a postcard is $1 on my etsy shop, how much should I sell to my friend/ retail store and should I treat these as wholesale and only sell in volumes of 20 etc, so sales/ profit is assured. Should I have set wholesale fees or should I be open to negotiation? On one hand I want to be flexible, but I don`t want to enter into this blindly.
    If anyone can advise me or point me in the direction of a good publication to read, I`d be a happy bunny.
    Ta v. much, Zoe

2. # ADS

I've read a couple of books on crafty biz that I can't think of right now...isn't that always the way!

Anyway, a general expectation of wholesale is 50% off whatever your retail price is. If your retail price is $1/postcard, you should expect to wholesale it at 50 cents/postcard. If that's pretty much what you paid to make said card, including time and materials, then you need to adjust your pricing so you make a profit. Most people who sell wholesale have a required minimum order to make up for the fact that you're selling at 50% off--mine is $100 with a $75 reorder.

Hope that helps.
    Jen

ditto what sweet pea says, wholesalers that i have come across usually have a $100 opening order. Some have a minimum reorder while others don't. you want your etsy and retail prices reflecting double the wholesale... that way the retailer feels more comfortable knowing that they won't be perceived as ripping off the consumer.

Set prices are best. It shows you believe in your stuff (however if enough people tell you that your stuff is overpriced... listen). However, mention that you will "throw in the envelopes for free" or if they order $200 they will get a free display. If you want them to realize that you sell something new, provide a sample or catalog in with the order.

i personally can't afford to do wholesale orders. i've been told over and over again that my prices are too low. i have 3 consignments going on right now and those seem to work best for me. i've recently given in and raised my prices and i'm still not 100% comfortable with it....i've always wanted to stick with my idea that i want anyone who looks at one of my items that likes it to be able to buy it.

one of my close friends just recently sold a whole line of her kids clothes and bibs and stuff to a store locally as a wholesale order and the store flipped out on her for having her prices on her website be less than what they are selling her stuff for in their store...so! i think it is important to be consistent with prices.

wholesale is hard for handmade items if you don't price gouge.

good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by appleseeds
    wholesale is hard for handmade items if you don't price gouge.
    Pricing your work to reflect the time, effort, and quality you put into the item is not price gouging.

We as crafters who sell our items need to remember that. We often undercut ourselves and each other with our fear of pricing too high.

erika

Remove Ads

Ads