Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat or Fab?

i'm a size 14 (and sometimes 12 depending on the clothing manufacturer). intellectually, i understand that i'm not huge, but clothing manufacturers sure like to make me feel that way.

if i could find stylish chic clothes in my size, i would not care one bit what my size is. but alas, i am also cursed with a large stomach (39 inches), so finding clothes that not only fit, but are also flattering AND attractive and stylish is really difficult.

of course, i guess i could exercise. i eat pretty well already, but i'm insulin-resistant, so it's hard to lose weight.

2. # ADS

While I am not happy with the size I am now, I think for the first time in my life I am trying to change it for me. Not trying to be thinner for some boy or perceived demand on me by society, but just because it is what I want.

I hope that one day I'll be able to say that I am satisfied.

i'm 5'6" and around 150 too. i hit that weight around 22, and have shifted up and down from 145 and 160 unintentionally. my body does what i need it to, and we get along pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    i wear a size 14 (except in Dockers, in which i mysteriously wear a 12)
    apparently levi's have completely redone their sizing. after i lost most of my baby weight after having my first kid and returned to my normal size, which was 9, size 7 levis fit but were somewhat loose in the belly (i have an ample butt, which causes problems in the waistband, which is why nothing old navy makes will fit...) another baby later and a year or so of stress not-eating, i was in size THREE levis, and five to seven in other brands.

size three?!? come on. i was in size FIVE in fifth grade. i'm "average" - 5"7, 135 give or take 5 lbs depending on the week.... the funny thing about sizes is that they just keep making the numbers lower. my mom was in 10 or 12 in the 60's and she was not large by any means. i'm a 12 in vintage myself.

sorry for straying from the topic. generally, i'm pretty happy with my body. at least i have been in the last year other than my boobs being gone. i have been doing a lot of walking in the past several months, averaging around 30-45 minutes a day just for exercise, not including walking on a mission of some sort... the only thing i'd like to fix is the squishy mommy belly. but sit-ups suck.

After dealing with the rollercoaster of hyper and hypo thyroid for years, and finally getting stable w/ meds, I've been left a lovely size 20-ish. (Your body starves when hyper, but slows to a crawl when hypo...my poor confused body!!).
    I'm finally able to eat normally again, and am well enough to exercise as the summer heat allows. I'm trying to just be good to my body, and trying not to obsess over my weight.
    It sucks, though. Before the big bad thyroid stuff hit, I was 138lbs at 5'7" tall, and wore a size 12.

I also feel the pain of vanity sizing. In 5th grade, I could wear a size 5 skirt. Now I'm rather short 4'10", but now I wear a size 0. I have gained plenty of weight since the 5th grade. I too would love to buy "grown-up clothes" as my twenties are almost over. I'm pretty happy with my body. I realized at 25 that I was way better looking than I was in high school. I'm a vegetarian and I exercise and strength train, but it's for me. I want to be healthy and I want to be strong. It's also loads of fun to put those huge bags of dog food in the car and watch people stare.

Oooh vanity sizing is the worst.. I'm a multiple amputee, missing both my legs just above the knee, so I'm 3'9", I've got some booty and hips and a little bit of a belly but if I gain even just 2 lbs it shows because I'm shorter. The only time I really feel fat is when I'm shopping for clothes and trying them on in the change room, it gets very discouraging, especially with pants, I've burst into tears more times than I can count while trying on pants, I either have a serious case of muffin top or they sag out at the waistband. I have quite a few issues with my body sometimes, but most of the time I just don't care, I enjoy being curvy. I do however think I'm very lucky to be as mobile as I am because I can walk, otherwse I'd be like a big beachball, but obviously there's no marathon running for me lol

i am 5'5" and at my heaviest weighed about 185. i didn't necessarily think of myself as fat but i could feel the weight on me and got extremely lazy. My weight gain was pretty severe acctually, though. Within 2 1/2 years i went from 125 to 185, partially due to the fact that i was in a relationship and had taken on my partners eating habbits. 5-6 full size carb loaded greek meals a day...but the relationship turned sour and i've finnaly (after about six months) gotten back to a weight i'm comfortable with 145-150 depending on what time of the month it is and i've slowly gotten back into exercising 2-3 times a week. I'd say to strive for a healthy lifestyle.

fauxchina, have you ever thought of going to a seamstress and getting things tailored to your body? I've been reading a book on making pattern adjustments to handle all sorts of body issues, and it's amazing.

Smudgy Cat, I've thought about it, but right now it's not in the budget, soon I'll be working again though and I'll have a little bit of money for tailoring. I've recently started sewing, so hopefully after a bit more practice, I'll be able to make alterations on my own or even just make my own clothing. What is the title of that book? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads