Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

What did/do you study?

This is a bit of a random question. I'm just curious to know what sort of things everyone has studied, or is studying right now.

I'll start.

I studied for a Bachelor of Education (Primary Education) for 4 years (and I work as a teacher). In the past I studied to be a fitness instructor and I started a Travel and Tourism Diploma but didn't finish that. Since I'm spilling my guts I'll also add that I've worked in other jobs that involved learning as I went, and I haven't really studied anything just because I wanted to learn about the world, which is something I kind of regret. I'd love to do a Bachelor of Arts and study history, art and literature "just because".

How about you?

2. # ADS

I am studying Environmental Toxiciology (the degree is a B.S.) so I have studied mostly chemistry and biology, with a fair amount of ecology. i've also taken quite a few math classes, and i will be taking some classes in statistics and environmental law soon.

i am planning on going into a Master's in Public Health program next, and after that possibly a Ph.D. program in epidemiology.

my focus is occupational and environmental health, and career-wise i would like to work with or advocate for farm workers.

i just sent you a pm about this! i have a CDA (child development associate) a degree for pre-school teachers but, after working with 2-4 year olds for the past few years have realized its not for me....now i'm not sure what i'm going to study after i get my general AA...probably along the lines of art history or environmental sciences...they sound different but it makes sense to me :)

Yay Stella! I'm so glad you responded because it was actaully a post where you mentioned bing at school which inspired me to ask this question! But I could hardly have called the thread "So Stella, What Do You Study?" could I?

I'm also interested in learning about people's chosen areas of study because I come from a family of teachers and I am a teacher, so other stuff, such as Environmental Toxicology, is quite exotic and exciting to me! :-)

Joy, is it possible to take some classes in both of the areas you are interested in studying before commiting one way or another, to get a feel for each subject area? Or hey, maybe you could do a double degree! ;-)

i absolutely love talking about what i study. i go on and on about environmental sciences (especially toxicology) every chance i get, because it is such a fascinating and important field. there is also a niche for everyone in the environmental sciences. if you don't want to go into the hardcore physical science end, you could be an urban planner, or a landscape artist, or an educator, or work in policy and law, or... you get the picture.

I am finishing up a BS in psychology with minors in sociology and criminal justice. I *HOPE* to get into a graduate school and go on to complete a masters in social work.

Getting grad school apps ready now, just working on the personal statement which is a killer :(

I am totally boring. I have an undergraduate degree in history, a masters in history, and I'm currently trying to finish my dissertation so I can get a PhD in, you guessed it, history.

I was one of those people that changed majors 3 times while in school. I began with a degree in Biological Systems Engineering, with a focus on entomology. After spending a summer working with troubled youth, I was moved to become a math teacher, so the following year I switch majors to Secondary Mathematics Education. Being the huge nerd that I am, I found the math classes in that department boring and unstimulating, and switched AGAIN to Mathematics. There I consentrated primarily on Number Theory and Algebra (for the non-math people out there, its not what you imagine).

I am currently a math teacher at an all-girls' school in Manhattan. I am not certified, and I have no intention of ever gaining certification. I worked toward a Master's of Ed for one year (while working in a public school-- what a NIGHTMARE) and realized that those studies do not suit me. If I ever go back to school, it will be to acquire a Master's in math, or to become an RN and begin apprenticing to be a midwife (pipe dreams!).

I've my bachelor's in journalism (with a fair number of credits in women's studies and art history/theory thrown in, too) and am one thesis away from having my master's in museum communication. As bad as a time I've had writing my thesis (four advisors and counting...), april again's mention of writing personal statements nearly led me to run screaming into the other room. I hated writing those.

B.A. History and Anthropology
    M.A. History
    M.A. History of Science
    PhD currently in progress: History of Science (focus on History of Medicine)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads