Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by twilight
    I boycott:

TV-haven't owned one since 1998. This has greatly reduced my consumption.
    Oh yes, this is the biggest thing that I boycott and the thing that leads me most labelled a "radical." My friends, coworkers, etc are often discussing the newest shows, and when they ask me if I like (insert popular show here) I have to say, "No, we don't watch TV." This is usually met by STARES and SILENCE. But since I quit TV about two years ago, I haven't missed it, and I have learned so much more about the world then I would have by watching Survivor, The Apprentice or the Idol shows.

We do still watch lots of movies, mostly in the theatre since we haven't been able to afford to buy a couch yet since we've moved, but at least the product placements are a little more subtle. Plus, we seek out what we want to see, rather than watching what was chosen for us by some network big wig.

Yay for unplugging the TV!!!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by twilight
    BTW-I was told that the Walmart corporation owns Hobby Lobby. And the HL stores are located in old Walmart stores.
    Wal Mart doesn't own Hobby Lobby. The company is owned by its CEO, David Green. They are occasionally located in old Wal Mart stores, but that's mostly because they tend to open in previously vacated stores (the one that's near me set up in an old DIY Lumber store). Not that that's any reason not to boycott them, just sayin' :)

i don't watch TV either. i will watch TV shows on DVD if i like them enough to rent a DVD (mostly cartoons) and i watch movies now and then, but i HATE watching TV. it's sad, because as much as i hate it, i will still get sucked into it and end up vegetating for hours. i'm not going to have a TV set in my apartment next year at all, and i am looking forward to it.

God, I am the *exact* opposite. I do not own a TV either, not because I hate it, but rather because I LOVE it. I don't love many of the messages it sends/burns into our brains, but I could sit there and lose myself all day in television. I love the shows about animals and nature, I love soaps (esp GENERAL HOSPITAL), food network, antiques roadshow, BBC... mmm. I even get entranced by the commercials (then again, maybe thats because I watch TV so infrequently that I find just about anything amusing).

I will say that since I gave up television 6 + years ago, many of my body image problems have melted away. I was watching a program with my sister not too long ago, and I thought that all the actresses looked like aliens... they were so thin and creepy.

I will say that since I gave up television 6 + years ago, many of my body image problems have melted away. I was watching a program with my sister not too long ago, and I thought that all the actresses looked like aliens... they were so thin and creepy.
    I know what you mean. This past year I haven't been working or going to school and I watched a lot of TV and ended up feeling like a fat-fat-fatty. But since I've gotten a job at a Subway at that den of evil Wal-Mart, I have been feeling WAY better about myself. :)

Speaking of TV, if I see a commercial I don't like I try to make a conscious effort to avoid whatever is being advertised, and vise versa. I'm not that avid a consumer, though, so most of the commercials I hate are for things I wouldn't buy anyway, but still. I try.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Remove Ads

Ads