Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I think sometimes it's less a formal boycott than just a feeling that you can't deal with giving your money to certain people. Like, if I knew the guy who owned the shop down the street had got away with murder, I might not want to help support a murderer.

2. # ADS

WalMart - I hate the way they treat their employees, plus it's just awful to be a customer there. I don't know why so many people put up with it when it's really not all that much cheaper than a regular grocery store (I work at one)

Certain restaurants locally - just because they've been consistently rude and bad quality.

Pet stores - I'll never buy a dog or cat from one, obvious reasons. (Rats maybe, because around here I dunno if I'd trust a "free rat" ad in the paper, hehe)

One of our hospitals - they give giant insurance companies discounts, but wouldn't give me any kind of assistance, not one penny, when I had 3 surgeries w/out insurance. So they're NEVER getting any more money from me (whether it's me or my insurance company because of me). Said "Looks like you'll just have to file bankruptcy" >:P So easy to say right. Very glad I didn't follow that stupid advice.

I don't know much more about other companies to boycott them, and I'm basically too lazy to find more out :(

Definitely agree w/ the previous post. I mostly just don't want to give my money to these people - especially WalMart. I know my "boycott" isn't effective at all really anyway. Well, except the hospital...they are losing a ton of money from me :) Pregnant right now, will be pregnant again, surgeries, lots of kidney stone/infection problems, etc, etc. That's a lot of money :)

I boycott:

Walmart--> for the same reasons everyone else does

Pet Stores, excpet my local pet store because they sell/adopt animals from the local humane society

Any company that tests on animals-->except pharamceutical companies. I'm an ER nurse and most of my patients would likely be dead without some kind of medication

President Bush (need I say more....)

I also boycott most pro-life groups, because most of them aren't interested in helping accidently pregnant women, most are only interested in making them feel bad and limiting there choices. That's not cool.

I SUPPOSE I boycott the diamond industry. I defenitely don't agree with thier practices, but I am not actively boycotting because I'd never spend that much money on a generic piece of jewelry either.

Joyosaurusrex, I tend to frequent thrift stores for many, many of my needs. I know that my clothes, shoes, furniture, and other belongings may have originally come from a major department store, but this way I'm keeping things out of the landfill, not actively supporting an industry I don't agree with, and helping money go to charity. I also go to a food co op, and I'm looking into joining my community garden.

Walmart (for a million reasons)

Domino's Pizza (they give piles and piles of money to hardcore antichoice organizations)

Wendy's (ditto, albeit not as extreme as the Domino's guy)

Home Depot (I've just never had a good experience there, so I'm convinced they're bad somehow)

Urban Outfitters/Anthropologie (has given money to Santorum repeatedly)

Body Shop (anti-Israel)

I think that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by kittensrme
    Target: The whole birth control thing.
    What is the birth control thing? Do they not sell it in their pharmacy?

Target allows their pharmacists to refuse to fill out prescriptions for Plan B.

- McDonalds and other fast food chains...I really don't like fast food. C'mon, noodles take four minutes. FOUR MINUTES. Or pack your own lunch. Tastes better everytime.

- driving a car - I'm not going to learn to drive for as long as I can avoid it. I accept lifts from my parents, but only if I'm late or there is no walking or train alternative. Unfortunately I'm late rather a lot but my commitment to trying to make less of an impact on the enviroment will hopefully spur me to keep better time.

- wrapping paper. You wrap a present in paper, then it's torn off and put in the bin. What is the point? I'm hoping to start wrapping in tissue paper (which is so much easier to keep and use for crafts afterwards) and fabric (ditto) or to use bags.

- chain record stores

- big record companies (I'm trying to buy non-RIAA as much as I can)

- diamonds by default, I can't afford them and I don't want them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sallysunshine
    The problem is that I generally don't cook meat, so most of the meat I eat is cooked by someone else, and it's hard even to know where it comes from.
    Me too.

- wrapping paper. You wrap a present in paper, then it's torn off and put in the bin. What is the point? I'm hoping to start wrapping in tissue paper (which is so much easier to keep and use for crafts afterwards) and fabric (ditto) or to use bags.
    AGREED! I wrap presents in newspaper, or I make my own using recycled paper like paper bags.

I boycott a lot of things by default. I'm vegan, so no fast food for me (except for Taco Bell like 3x a year). I don't drink coffee. I'm not interested in diamonds, and I can't imagine having a guy save up for months just to buy a ring. When I do get engaged, I'll probably pick out the prettiest ring from the antique store, or buy one off of etsy. While I love a lot of the stuff at Urban Outfitters/Anthropologie, I won't buy from them. They're pricey anyway, and I probably wouldn't shop from them for that reason alone.

Nestle products
    Domino's pizza
    Wal Mart (although I will be living awhile in a small town that has one and not much else. I may have to take a deep breath and enter it.)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads