Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

what do you boycott?

intentionally or unintentionally?

- mcdonalds (do not supersize me)
    - factory farms (v. little meat, anyway, and when i do eat it, it is organic)
    - Shell - remember that oil spill? yep.
    - i used to boycott taco bell, but i can't remember why.
    - coca cola - they used to subsidize the apartheid gov't in s. africa
    - bmw, mercedes benz, volkswagon, farben - all made a profit off of jewish slave labor in wwii
    - mitsubishi and nissan - responsible for the manufacturing of japanese bombs on american forces during wwii
    - bic products. they test on animals.
    - pet stores. DO believe the hype.
    - movies made, directed or produced by mel gibson.
    - PRESIDENT BUSH

2. # ADS

Wal-Mart- if you don't know why a person would boycott Wal-Mart, run to the nearest decent video store and rent "The High Cost of Low Price" and watch it right now.

fast food- likewise, read Fast Food Nation. i do eat at In-n-Out now and then (maybe 3 times a year) and they are the only fast food chain that treats their employees reasonably well.

animal-tested products- i don't buy them, but i do use pharmaceuticals, so i guess i'm hypocritical there.

chain pet stores- they're fucked up. if you want the long version, ask me and i'll PM you.

diamonds- the diamond industry is profoundly harmful to the earth and the people who work in mining.

janaka, one thing i don't "get" is boycotting over stuff that happened in WWII. there are plenty of companies that are doing horrible crap now, so why boycott a company that did horrible crap 60 years ago, but no longer does. here is a list of US defense contractors that can be implicated in all of the murders the US government is performing all over the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...se_contractors

there are other jewels besides diamonds that cause harm to the people that mine them, and also support al-quaeda. for example, tanzanite.

i would never buy any of those cars in the first place, and mitsubishi does things today that are not so great for the rain forest.

also, i am sure that my family members who went up in smoke wouldn't appreciate my driving a beamer. you know?

My grandmother lost her mother and brother in the Holocaust (they were her only family: her dad died of natural causes in the early '30s), and she was really opposed to boycotting German goods. She said that Germany and Austria's economic collapse after World War I were part of what allowed extremist ideologies to flourish and that economically punishing your enemies for their past misdeeds didn't help in the end. But I can see being uncomfortable buying that stuff. I'm just not, for some reason.

I wouldn't buy a diamond, for lots of reasons. I've never been to a Walmart, but I've also never lived anywhere htat was convenient to a Walmart. I have a Starbucks hangup, too. Unless there's really no other option, I'll get coffee almost anywhere else before Starbucks. But that's totally irrational. I have no good reason to dislike Starbucks. I'm sure that I've bypassed a Starbucks to get coffee from a place that doesn't give their employees nearly as good benefits.

I know that I shouldn't eat meat from factory farms, but I haven't got my act together enough to act on that. I don't eat a lot of meat, but I'm sure that a lot of what I do eat is highly objectionable. The problem is that I generally don't cook meat, so most of the meat I eat is cooked by someone else, and it's hard even to know where it comes from.

Exxon - Mainly for the (lack of) gay rights thing.

Wal-Mart (Do you need a list)

Starbucks in my hometown - I have a love/hate thing with them. When I'm travelling, I have to have it, knowing I'll be able to get a cup of good, strong coffee (which I need). However, at home, I insist on patronising the local guy.

Total Wine and More - I am blessed with a selection of local, independent wine merchants in my town, so I need to support them.

I'm sure I'll think of others.............

Re: what do you boycott?

Quote Originally Posted by janaka

- i used to boycott taco bell, but i can't remember why.
    there was a taco bell boycott a few years ago because of the pay they give their farmers....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco_Bell#Boycott

i boycott
    -fast food (i can't live without take out chineese, but i consider that a small business...ha)
    -new pre-fab furnature....i personally just don't like it. i build my own or buy from thrift stores or garage sales
    -any comercial non organic cheese, milk, or honey (the only animal products i will eat)
    -grocery stores other than whole foods (i mainly shop at a farmers market)
    -grocery bags

thats all i can think of that i intentionally boycott....

Nestle!

* factory farms
    * fast food (and chain restaurants in general)
    * Walmart
    * Exxon
    * diamonds
    * Nestle

I don't buy anything at Starbucks, but it's not so much a boycott for political reasons as just plain not liking their burny tastin' coffee. If you can't get the basic cup of joe right, I don't care how fantastic your whipped cream, syrupy creations are.

- mcdonalds
    - factory farms
    - diamonds
    - wal-mart and k-mart
    - tuna (it started out as a pro dolphin thing, now i just don't like it)
    - my local bar (the owner never kicks the skinheads out evan when they're being f**ked up)
    - metalica
    - big music chains.
    - big chain bookstores
    - mel gibson.
    - tom cruise
    - BUSH
    - Exxon (they treatedmy girl horribly
    when they found out about me)

why nestle?

Quote Originally Posted by saint nora
    why nestle?
    They've been known to do things like tell women in 3rd world countries that their powdered formula is better than breast milk. Despite the fact that using formula generally involves mixing it up with really nasty water. And, you know, the fact that breastfeeding is good for everyone involved.

Other people could probably tell you more than I can.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads