Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Detox your body...a la colon cleanse?

Has anyone heard of natural detox...or colon cleanses? Not to be too graffic...lets say I have issues with my stomach and being bloated, etc. On the east coast it seems un heard of...

Anyone try something from a health food store that made a huge impact?? No pun intended?? ;)

2. # ADS

i had a colonic about three years ago when i was living in new york, and i didn't feel any better or worse afterwards. i would go to your local health food store and see what they suggest.

some people are really into that... i think that bodies are designed to cleanse and detox themselves without taking drugs that make you shit your brains out, but if you're into that kind of thing, any health food store will have a formula.

I can't remember which month, but earlier this year Natural Health magazine had an article about detoxing by changing your diet rather than using drugs or colonic whatever-it-is. I didn't try it, but it seemed very simple to follow and I can't think of any side effects that might come from their suggestions.

i think that unless you are having real problems (chronic constipation), eating yogurt with live and active cultures (like greek yogurt or stonyfield farms--most organic yogurts have life and active cultures) every day and a high fiber cereal (kashi go lean or uncle sam's--measure out a full serving) should help you in this regard.

also, if your stomach is bothering you, it could be that you need to eat slower, taking deep breaths in between. this worked for my sister. she realized she was "inhaling" her food and would constantly feel sick and bloated afterwards. she basically wasn't digesting her food. you need to give your stomach and brain a chance to register that you are eating so it can turn on digestion.

just my 2 cents. take it for what it's worth. :-)

I wish I could be of more help, but I could have sworn that sometime last year there was a discussion similar to this and someone said that detoxing was actually a myth?

I'm hoping someone will chime in along those lines because I'm really curious.

I heard the coffee enema was not any better than a regular enema, but people were actually choosing a flavor! HOAX!

enemas are silly. your ass is designed to eject what it needs to, and unless you eat nothing but meat and cheese or have some kind of other pooping problem, you don't need to be squirting water, coffee, or anything else up there.

here is an article a quick Google search pulled up:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/befit/stor...379231,00.html

it's not scholarly, but it looks decent.

any toxins that our bodies CAN "detox" are detoxified by enzymes that the body produces.

I can tell you what not to do, and that is the master cleanser - aka the lemonade diet.

It is a 10 day fast of lemon, maple, cayanne and water. I made it 4 days, and I felt so horrible I had to stop. Now I know they say that feeling horrible is a sign of detoxing. However, I was having pain in my kidneys, and have been dealing with a wicked UTI almost ever since. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I'm all for having a day of fruit and fiber-rich foods to try and "blow it out", so to speak. But I learned my lesson with the fasting - I don't think it was a good decision, although it was a good lesson in many regards.

I second the suggestion abou the live cultures. Do a search for "probiotics". There are lots of products you can purchase to add to your food to up your intake of healthy bacteria, whcih helps keep your digestion optimal.

This was hilarious, by the way.

enemas are silly. your ass is designed to eject what it needs to

I've never had an enema so I can't give any advice on that but as far as general detox, I can recommend juice fasting. I do it for up to three days and no more than twice a year. Afterwards, I feel refreshed and have more energy. It helps to rid your colon of what might be hanging on in there. It's also a good idea to do it while you're sick. Before you do a juice fast though, visit the library to read up on how to do it properly.

If fasting seems too extreme there are plenty of alternatives. I start my day with 2 ounces of Goji Juice (yummy!) or Aloe Juice (which I don't suggest because it tastes horrible, I'm just trying to finish up the expensive bottle that I purchased) and I drink a detox tea every evening. The aloe juice is supposed to help aid in digestion but, like I said, it's just not worth the taste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads