Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The perfect yarn store

Inspired by some comments on the "businesses you support" thread I thought I would start another thread on the issue of snobby vs. welcoming LYS. Have you found one that offers great yarn while also not treating you like a unwanted nuisance? Do you care? Have you given up and only buy yarn online?

I happen to be horrible at figuring out my gauge and yardage so I often need help when I'm shopping and so I do tend to support the businesses that don't look down their nose at me for this "deficiency." On the other hand, they don't always have the yarn I need so I sometimes defect to the other LYS that is known for it's snobbery (although I haven't experienced it myself).

2. # ADS

i LOVE commuknitty on the alameda in san jose, ca. great yarn, wonderful, helpful (but not overly helpful) staff.

i can't get myself to buy yarn online. i have to touch it.

i too have to touch the yarn. don't buy much online. i buy yarn at the happy places. if i want something snooty yarn shop has, i go when there is knitting clinic and get it then. usually during clinic everyone is nice.

I buy most of my yarn online, thanks to 1) the fact that I've been knitting awhile, and have a pretty good idea of what to expect in a yarn and 2) I fear the yarn snobs, despite the fact that I know I can hold my own against them.

I have, however, learned a cool trick with the ultra-snobby knit store near me, which is that when I have to buy something in the store (ie, if it's a yarn I haven't used before), to go in right when they open up. When it's less crowded, and I'm the first customer of the day, I get much better service.

my ideal yarn store is one where the employee greets me when i go in ("Hi, can I help you find anything") and when i say "no thanks, just looking" they actually leave me alone unless i ask for help! i hate stores with pushy or overly chummy customer service.

i like Knitters' Workshop in Sebastopol, CA. the owner is nice enough, but she doesn't follow you around the store trying to "help".

I'm still on the hunt for the perfect LYS in my area.

Even when I have encountered perfectly lovely and helpful staff, sometimes I get the feeling that I am interrupting or am somehow a burden because I am a beginner.

My mom taught me the knit stitch when I was a kid. Everything else - from casting on and purling to making cables and various increases and decreases and finishing - I have taught myself from books and the internet. I think I've done a pretty good job. So if I walk in your store during designated "free lesson" time, don't look down your nose at me because I want you to show me something relatively basic. I know its basic - but some stuff you just have to learn hands on. </rant>

It's like LYS are like Local Record Stores - you want to support them and when you find a good one it's a wonderful thing, but they also have such an earned reputation of being snobby. I mean - we're giving them our business!

One thing that I really love about the nice local yarn store is that they're really kid friendly. That's a weird thing to say, because I don't have kids. But I think that the kid-friendliness lends the place an air of non-snobbery. It's hard to be snobby when there are toddlers toddling around fondling the yarn on the lower shelves. And while I may not be the world's most proficient knitter, I'm better than the five-year-olds practicing on knitting needles the size of curtain dowells.

I've been avoiding the two major yarn shops in Philly, Rosies and Sophies, because I've heard a lot of snobbery goes on there. I had a friend who went to a knitting circle at one of them, and they didn't say one word to her. Not even "hey, welcome!" And forget it if you bring something to crochet, or if you have acrylic yarn.

There's also a teacher in my area that a lot of people go to for lessons, but she's a TOTAL snob. She won't teach you unless you're using 100% wool yarn (it doesn't matter to her if you're allergic). She actually berated one of her student in front of the whole class for not using 100% wool yarn.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but the snobbery thing is something that really puts me off to shopping in yarn stores.

I work in a bead / yarn store in south Jersey, and sometimes it's the customers that bring in the snobbery ("I don't need any help, I've been knitting for 15 years thank you").

*edit: punctuation / spelling mistake

i have been debating on going to my lys for my usual knit nite this week, because the past few times i have gone, i have been weirded out by the two women who own the place. i was contemplating attending knit nite at the nasty shop, almost as an experiment to see what would happen.

i'll probably stick to my usual stomping ground, just because it is closer to where i live.

last weekend i went to jo-ann's superstore and i bought some pretty yarn for xmas scarves. i was pleasantly surprised to learn that a.) i don't need to know everything there is to know about yarn prior to purchasing it b.) i can pick out nice yarn without being directed in several different directions c.) i can buy yarn without feeling totally pressured and overwhelmed about making a decision.

too bad i had to go to a chain store to learn all that, isn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads