Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I just got Bare Minerals for back-to-school and have liked it so far - I have a very pink face and it soaks up the pink so I have a more even skin tone. I haven't started with the vitamin toner stuff yet, but that's supposed to even out the pores; I wanted to see what the powder would do on its own first. The nice thing is that you use one product for your entire face and then go back later to conceal, so if you have something that is borderline (a fading pimple) it might be covered by the regular makeup or you can go back and give it a little more coverage.

Now if I could only figure out how to line my bottom lids, wear mascara, and not look like a hooker after I rub my eyes...

p.s. the 'warmth' powder that comes in the kit that you use to put the redness back into your face also works pretty well as an eyeshadow :)

2. # ADS

I used Pro Activ solution in 6th grade when my forehead was crustybad, and it worked really really well. I'm thinking about going back on it again.

Right now i'm just using Oil of Olay bar soap on my face, and it's ok. Not great, not crappy. Just so-so.

Due to a mix-up with the neighbor's Avon lady, I'm using their blackhead clearing cleanser and their Anew All in one MAX moisturizer. It has actually helped my skin tremendously. I now have no pimples, fewer (smaller) blackheads and fewer whiteheads. I used to sell Mary Kay and I tried Aveeno, but this Avon combo seems to work. I have sensitive skin too and I cannot use benzoyl peroxide or anything by Olay.

Aromaleigh mineral makeup comes in a huge range of colors and you can order samples and try them out. Although I got good color matches with the powders, they didn't give me the level of coverage I wanted (this has also been true with Bare Minerals, which not only didn't match my color but made my face itch). I like the eyeshadows and use matte umber eyeshadow as a liner (using an angled brush to apply). The photos of the sparkly colors aren't the best guide - I got a free sample of the Natural Frost loden, which I found surprisingly nice on me. It looks dark green in the package, and just the lightest dusting of it is shimmery gold with green tones. The lipstick and creme wash cheek/lip color, on the other hand, I didn't like. I thought they were very drying on the lips and when I tried the colors on my cheeks, they looked really fake (on me, anyway).

For concealer and powder, I use MAC, and my only lipcolors for years have been Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey and Sheer Blackberry.

i've been using cetaphil for oily skin. my skin was never really really terrible, but once i started using this, i stopped breaking out outside of period pimples
    What exactly is cetaphil? Is it a prescription? I've tried a lot of different things and while my skin is more clear than it used to be, it still sucks pretty hard. Lots of blackheads on my nose, whiteheads on my chin, etc.

Cetaphil is not a prescription. It was created by dermatologists to be an alternative to soap. It sounds strange to wash your face with something that is NOT SOAP... but really, it just means that the product does not share all the same chemical properties as a soap. Perhaps it is still a surfactant, but it just does not contain all the fats and bases that a soap normally has?

Regardless of what the hell Cetaphil is, I highly recommend it-- I've used it for years with lots of luck.

As for make-up, I use neutrogena concealer for zits and their pink multi-colored blush. I do have very oily skin, which is only worsened by the humidity...but I've come to accept it. I recall meeting a woman from Jordan several years ago who raved and raved and RAVED aout my "beautiful dewy skin". In her country, the climate was so dry, that her skin was constantly parched.

The grass is always greener, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by kittensrme
    i've been using cetaphil for oily skin. my skin was never really really terrible, but once i started using this, i stopped breaking out outside of period pimples
    What exactly is cetaphil? Is it a prescription? I've tried a lot of different things and while my skin is more clear than it used to be, it still sucks pretty hard. Lots of blackheads on my nose, whiteheads on my chin, etc.
    cetaphil is a mild ph-balanced cleanser. you can buy it in any drugstore. i usually get it from target. there is original, which is a milky white creamy cleanser, and the oily skin, which is a liquid cleanser.

http://www.drugstore.com/search/sear...earch=cetaphil

it's recommended by practically every dermatologist, and when i was buying my sister (and myself) the stuff from lush the saleslady told she had worked for a dermatologist and that's what he recommended and she uses and not to bother with lush's cleansers.

Cetaphil Girl, myself. Started using it when allergist prescribed it for Eczema Boy's sharky skin. Works well.

Have been using the Olay Regenerist Thermo exfoliant set. Works so awesome! Skin much clearer. Even during Period Zit Week. Use it every few days to keep ickies at bay.

Foundation? Hmmm..kinda like DreamMatte for color and longevity. Matte without being chalky Nice color selection for the melanin-challenged( most foundations yellow/ orange/ or sickly pink).

Neutragenia powder blush in nice colors.

LÓreal eyeliner/shadows. Espresso.

the fats and bases used to make soap are not present in the finished soap. the base is used to turn the fatty acids into soap in the saponification reaction.

Cetaphil has cetyl alcohol, which is a fatty alcohol, propylene glycol (used as a moisurizer and lubricant), and sodium lauryl sulfate. SLS is an ionic surfactant just like soap, so it has the same action. the main difference with Cetaphil is that it contains more moisturizers and fatty compounds than soap, so it is less effective at removing skin oils and leaves behind some of the moisturizers.

i use Cetaphil sometimes, but i have noticed that it leaves a lot of dirt on my face... the toner cotton ball is a lot more grungy than it is when i wash my face with soap.

I ran out of cleanser a while ago and I decided to try Cetaphil out and I am breaking out like crazy! I usually have a pimple or two in development, but I can count eight since I've started it. Is there an adjustment period or something?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads