Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

make-up suggestions

the time has come for me to go through all of my used and barely used make up and throw it all away. such waste!

i wanted to try bare escentuals, but there are some products that i can't do without. like my l'oreal black eyeliner, my sparkly eyeshadow, and my l'oreal lipstick.

has anyone ever tried bare escentuals? any feedback would be great.

also, i have really bad skin. when i was a teenager, i was on accutane which is a high potency prescription pill meant to clear up skin. it worked a while and then stopped, just like everything else i have ever tried - does anyone have any product that they swear by?

thanks!

2. # ADS

what kind of products are you looking for? i, too, and HORRIBLY allergic to just about everything and fear trying new products. (would have been nice knowing that i was allergic to everything i put on my hair and skin back when i was a teenager. i probably would have been a lot happier without the "pizza face") because of this fear, i actually haven't tried bare escentuals. oh wait, i did. years ago. surely it's higher quality than it was back then. i wasn't happy with it but can't remember what kind of reaction it caused.

anyhow, i really like neutrogena's visibly even foundation (the skin clearing foundation does the opposite for me but the skin clearing powder, strangely, is fine. guess it's the salicylic acid in the liquid that does it to me.....)

for eyeshadow and eyeliner, i use this great stuff i found at the beauty supply store called 'sorme.' they don't have a great color selection, but the colors i do have stay on my greezy eyelids really well. it can be used wet or dry, so i use the charcoaly blackish color as a cake eyeliner, or brush it on for smoky eyes. i am also a die-hard mac fan for eyeshadow and especially lipstick... and if you don't like it, they'll take it back. and once you have 6 empties of any of their products, they'll recycle them and give you a free lipstick for your trouble. for pencil eyeliner, i really like prescriptives. it seems to stay on the best for me.

and that's my i'm not quite awake and kinda delirious rant! time to go put on my face....

i have bare escentuals and really like it. i don't wear it everyday because i'm perpetually very late to work (thank god my boss just accepts it), but when i do, i feel great in it.

i have oily skin, and it is HUMID here in nj. the bare escentuals totally feels natural (as in can't feel it at all) and stays on in the humidity. plus, the coverage is sheer yet makes you look much more polished. ok, i'm starting to sound like a commercial. i ordered the basic kit from the website that comes with the brushes in medium. my skin is not that sensitive, so i can't say if it would make you break out or not.

what skin care products do you use now? i've been using cetaphil for oily skin. my skin was never really really terrible, but once i started using this, i stopped breaking out outside of period pimples. it's very mild and doesn't irritate at all.

my sister has problem skin and considered accutane but decided against it. she also was constantly doing stuff to her skin--masks, exfoliation, strong cleansers--and then putting thick liquid foundation to cover it up. yuck! it took me a while, but i finally got her on the cetaphil, and she's seen a vast improvement in her skin--very few breakouts and better overall color. she was just aggravating everything with all the stuff she was using and constantly poking and rubbing at her face. she also now uses the tea tree oil toner (not sure what the exact name is) and the enzymion oil control moisturizer from lush. she's very oily, and while this hasn't lessened the oil so much, she said that the feeling of her skin and the breakouts have improved so much that she only wears foundation in her t-zone now. i can't tell you enough how this is such a huge difference for her.

hope this is helpful.

i use oil of olay to moisturize, depending on how oily/dry my skin is, it varies how often i use it.

l'oreal microdermabrasion once a week to exfoliate.

for break outs i use netrogena retin-a stuff.

it is weird - my skin is really clear across my forehead, my nose, my cheeks. it has always been the areas that no one can see but me - my neck, the area below my mouth that is so bad - it is whiteheads, mainly, really bumpy surface, and no matter what i do it just doens't go away. nothing works...i have been to dermatologists, have had facials, and the only consistent thing i hear is "do you have allergies?"

which is ironic because i am not allergic to anything - was tested two years ago. nada.

i think i tried cetaphil years ago. maybe i'll give it a go again. the other product i wonder about is the one that the celebs all promote - i can't think of the name of it.

thanks!

Re: make-up suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by janaka
    but there are some products that i can't do without. like my l'oreal black eyeliner, my sparkly eyeshadow, and my l'oreal lipstick.
    I love my L'Oreal black eyeliner too! What kind do you use? I use the liquid and it lasts like 12 hrs on my greasy eyes. I also LOVE the smell of their lipstick.

I've never tried bare escentuals but it sound like an interesting line.

One thing I swear by is eyeshadow base. My eyelids cannot hold eyeshadow because my eyelids get so oily. I love Estee Lauder's Shadow Stay.

My mom is in her mid-forties and gets mild skin breakouts. She uses bare essentials and loves it. She's the type of person who will stop using something if it doesn't meet her highest expectations so it must be decent. Also, I've noticed that her skin looks more refreshed when using it and she doesn't really get breakouts anymore.

For the past couple of years I have been using Olay's Regenerist serum and Olay Total Effects 7X with sunscreen and LOVE them both. I am deep into my 40s, still have oily skin and have been breaking out since I was 12, but I rarely get the tiniest zit since I started the Olay. Get this -- I have worn foundation daily since I was 15, and now I don't; I don't feel the need, my skin has improved that much.

One problem I have is that the products do nothing for my oil. Talk about shiny forehead... AND I haven't found a powder yet that doesn't change color when I wear it over the Olay. So.. I rely on Clean n Clear blotting tissues. I'd still like to find a powder that doesn't go orange-y.

i really like Origins powder. it's a little expensive, but it doesn't irritate my very sensitive skin, have a weird fragrance, or get cakey. i don't wear makeup (aside from a little concealer on whatever icky pimples i have at the moment) but if i feel really oily from my sunscreen, i blot with a Burt's Bees blotting tissue and put on a tiny bit of powder to cut down on shine.

one hint for powder is to avoid pinkey tones and go for a more yellow-based tone. it sounds weird, but pink based makeup tends to be less flattering than a yellow base.

as far as breakouts... yeah, i had always hoped that by the time i was my age, my skin would have cleared up, but apparently it's not going to happen. when i was on Ortho TriCyclen for birth control, my skin was very clear and i had zero sex drive. i'm taking a different pill now and my libido is back but i tend to break out the week before my period. i have been using a toner made by "Home Health" that is in the new natural products section at Longs Drugs, and it seems to help. it smells kind of funky, but it has .5% salicylic acid, which is good for me because the 2% products are too strong.

Re: make-up suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Knits4Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by janaka
    but there are some products that i can't do without. like my l'oreal black eyeliner, my sparkly eyeshadow, and my l'oreal lipstick.
    I love my L'Oreal black eyeliner too! What kind do you use? I use the liquid and it lasts like 12 hrs on my greasy eyes. I also LOVE the smell of their lipstick.

I've never tried bare escentuals but it sound like an interesting line.

One thing I swear by is eyeshadow base. My eyelids cannot hold eyeshadow because my eyelids get so oily. I love Estee Lauder's Shadow Stay.

i never tried the liquid kind, i have always used pencil eyeliner. i never used eyeshadow base, either, but it sounds like something i should look into.

the treatment that i was talking about earlier is called proactive - has anyone ever tried that? i have one friend that swears by it, but because my skin is such a mess, i hesitate.

I hate ProActive. My mom and I tried it and saw no improvements and it actually made my skin itchy. It really isn't worth the price.

I get better results from products by Clean & Clear and Neutrogena. For me, the best investment I ever made was a trip to the dermotologist for antibiotics and a Rx facial wash.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads