A rose that never dies

hello crafty people! i have a very off topic question to ask.

question: if you saw a teenager selling these on the street, outdoor shopping mall, or in front of an arts and crafts store, would you buy them for $14/vase (with quantity pricing: 2 vases for $25, 3 for $34)?

i hope the admins don't see this post as me trying to advertise or anything as i do not own or operate a business. someone simply suggested i try to sell these and i am just trying to gauge people's interest in the product.

they are handmade, made of paper, and would include the vase, marbles, and seven roses per vase as pictured above.

thanks for looking,

spaghetti

2. # ADS

these are super cool. i think i'd be willing to pay around $10.00 for them. why not look into an etsy account?

thanks sarabell for your input, i appreciate it a lot. i've considered etsy and i may do it in the future but for now i'm only thinking on the local level.

i would try selling these but the price for me is a huge stumbling block. a lot of crafters on another forum seem to follow this formula when it comes to pricing:

(cost of materials X 2) + (desired wage X number of hours worked).

if i value my time at only 5 dollars an hour, this formula still yields 45 dollars per vase [(5 X 2) + (5 X 7) =45]. having at least half a brain, i know that nobody will be willing to buy a vase at this price.

if you're thinking about selling them directly, you might want to price the flowers individually. i'd pay $2.00 for one to give to a friend or sweetie if we were walking by.

Have I missed something? I can't see any pictures or a link to your product. I'm curious now that everyone has said they look cool! :-)

aw, she had pics up. they were really supercool. i love making stuff out of paper as well so i'm very partial!

smachel has a great point. individual flowers would definitely be a great idea to sell along with the vases. sometimes i make little things for more impulse-type purchases. then people might later decide to go bigger.

i'd say you could probably price those up to $4, maybe even $5 if you put a nifty ribbon on them or something a little extra. couldn't tell what kind of paper you used. maybe some fancyish paper if it would work.... or maybe some corsages too?

unfortunately, your market totally dictates how you can price things. sometimes i only wind up making $2 an hour for my work after the price of materials. so if i'm crafting for a lower price-point demographic, i tend to use more inexpensive materials to cover costs. when i'm selling to more of a connoisseur, i'm often higher quality materials and am able to receive a more reasonable hourly wage. it's really frustrating to receive so little for your work. there have been far too many times i've had to slash prices so i could walk away at least covering my costs.

good luck and i want to see more pictures!

Sarabell, I think your idea for an etsy account is great. I imagine that people shopping through etsy have an appreciation for the effort and quality involved in producing craft, plus there must be a massive number of people shopping through etsy who are looking specifically for beautiful, handmade products.

I'd have to see them first, but from what others here are saying it sounds nice :)

Remove Ads

Ads