Yet another cat question!

Okay, as many of you know, I adopted a beautiful new baby in July. But I'm facing a problem NOW that I expected as soon as I brought her home: our older (alpha male) cat, Karate Chops, is eating all of her food.

It's strange, he didn't touch the stuff for over a month, and NOW he's interested. Of course this coinsides with the fact that I'm teaching again now that it's fall, and I'm not home to monitor who's eating what.

Does anyone have any tips? Thanks!

ps. He's not yet over-weight, but this kitten food diet seems to be porking him up.

2. # ADS

It'a an alpla cat strategy for sure. I ended up nailing a board over the opening to a small container & kept the kitten food in there until the kitten grew too big to fit. By that time you should put out as many bowls as you have cats, but put them far enough away that they can't see when the other one eats.

feed them in different rooms. when you feed the kitten, close her in the bathroom or something, and feed the other cat wherever you usually do. when you're gone, close the kitten in one part of the house with her food, water, and litter box.

Quote Originally Posted by mele
    It'a an alpla cat strategy for sure. I ended up nailing a board over the opening to a small container & kept the kitten food in there until the kitten grew too big to fit. By that time you should put out as many bowls as you have cats, but put them far enough away that they can't see when the other one eats.
    Great idea! I'd really REALLY like to keep them together during the day because that's why we got the kitten in the first place... to keep Karate company (we he's lonely, he either gets depressed or bored, and when he's bored he becomes destructive). And so far, the whole alpha cat thing hasn't been too big of a deal. He's been fine with her using the litter box (knock on wood!), fine with her using his scratching board (double knock!), and great when it comes to sharing toys. Honestly, Karate's been taking great care of Clem, and she seems to adore him. Other than the food issue, the transition has gone swimmingly!

How about encouraging your little one to eat in the morning before you go to work. Then you can monitor what she is eating, and you could take her food up during the day. You can feed her again when you get back home.

Hope things work out for you. Sounds like they are getting on great.

Remove Ads

Ads