Cuckoo over my clock- HELP!

Anybody by chance know a thing or two about cuckoo clocks? I just got this super cute one from the MoMA store. It's an actual black forest cuckoo clock with all the same workings as traditional ones, except that it has a slick, modern housing. Here's my question:

I had the thing running fine-- pendulum swinging, cuckoo singing every half hour for about a day. The left weight took about a day to travel from top to bottom. The right weight barely went down at all. Now the left weight has travelled all the way down to the floor and the clock has stopped. Starting the pendulum again makes it go for a little while, but then it dies again. Do I have to wind it or something to get the chain back up to the top? (There doesn't seem to be a key or any particular place to wind it.) The instructions that were included are extremely vague and I can't seem to find any answers online. Please help! Thanks!

2. # ADS

Hi Gluey~
    If I remember correctly, the chains with the weights hanging on them are the winding mechanism. If you pull the right weight gently down, this should restart your clock, and your left weight will gradually work its way back down again. I checked the internet for "How to wind a cuckoo clock", and this was the 1st hit .
    http://www.cuckookingdom.com/store.asp?C=46

Thanks, Sewlittletime! I was so nervous before to pull on the chains because I thought I would screw up the mechanisms, but it seems to be working fine now. Yay!

Oh good! I'm glad I could help out! I "ought" to know how these things work, considering I'm a 2nd generation Swiss American...you know, Swiss precision and all that! LOL! Just kidding!! I'm actually just a gadget junkie who happens to have Swiss ancestry!
    Enjoy your clock!! :)

Remove Ads

Ads