Ever not want to relinquish crafty gifts?

I've been sewing for Quornflour. It's turned out so very cool, I want to keep it for myself. Not quite enough fabric to make another identical set for myself, and I even saved the bitty scraps.

Much as I adore this, I'm still sending it to her.

Ever make a gift/swap so wicked cool, you wanted to keep it? If so, what was it? Did you make another to keep?

2. # ADS

I made a really, really, really cute little stuffed monster out of granny-smith green polarfleece. It was kind of a generic body shape with kitten ears, big black button eyes, a little bow with a bunny in the middle, a smilin mouth, and a heart on the butt. It's the nicest stuffed animal I've ever made, ever, and I was supposed to give it to someone, but I never gave it away.
    Until my best friend went to France for 5 months and I said "Take it." and tucked it into her suitcase. She was really really happy, so it was worth it.

i made a wall-hanging for a friend that was so cool i wanted to keep it, but it was made specifically for her, so i would have felt silly keeping it.

Yes!!
    Years ago, my friend wanted to pay me to make a ballerina costume for her daughter, who was about 6 at the time. Knowing what crappy care, my friend and daughter take of such things, I "suggested" that she not pay me for it, if I could keep it in my Halloween box for our other friends' daughters to use in the future.
    At the time, my friend's daughter was always getting food/drink/dirt all over her clothes, so I knew if i let her keep it, it would have been trashed, and I would have been ticked off that my hard work went to "waste".
    Well, now the other girls are getting to the age that they can borrow it, so it'll finally get used again (we're talking 6+ years later!). But it's in perfect condition, and I was able to preserve my hard work!!

I love the idea of keeping it for later use, but letting them borrow it. You were wise to see the lack of care they gave their clothes.
    I have never thought of borrowing something handmade, but I would be willing to lend an item for special occassions. neat!

I love the idea of keeping it for later use, but letting them borrow it. You were wise to see the lack of care they gave their clothes.
    I have never thought of borrowing something handmade, but I would be willing to lend an item for special occassions. neat!

I've been tempted, but I usually just make another for myself!

I almost did not send Bessiemae the quilt I made as a birthday present because I thought it went really nicely with and other quilt I had made for myself. A few of my friends said that I should just make something else that was nice and send that instead. In the end I put it in a box and took it straight to the post-office without even adding a few other random things I had picked up for her and mailed it before I changed my mind.

This happens a lot for me b/c I never tend to make anything for myself, only for gifts.

It helps when the person's name is in it somewhere, then I have no choice!

I made a stuffed giraffe for a swap with sarabellum that I hated to part with. It wasn't so spectacular, but it was my first stuffed animal and I thought it came out pretty good.

And I totally struck out this weekend with a knitted lace scarf for my mom. She seemed far more taken with the t-shirt I bought her as a throw-in to match it.

Oh well, I still have enough yarn that at least I can make another one for me.

Remove Ads

Ads