Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

homeland security can kiss my ***

okay so i am not really that mad, but i just got off the phone with TSA (homeland security) and asked if i could bring small hand sewing needles with me on the plane so i could so some hand applique while sitting on my long flight cross country. I was told I couldn't bring needles on my carry-on. how dumb is that? i understand the whole security thing and tightening up, and i understand the whole no scissors, or knives thing, but needles? come on!

i guess i'll just write letters or something less terrorist like than sewing.

2. # ADS

I was wondering whether they had loosened up on things like knitting and sewing needles yet. I'm sure if you hid them well you'd be okay. Not that I'm advocating hiding potential weapons from security officers. Heh heh. Heh heh.

A good idea is to bring a self-addressed stamped envelope to mail yourself anything that they won't let you take, but you don't want to leave behind. Just in case they pull something out of your luggage and say NO!

Wow, sewing stars, that sucks! I have to admit I thought needles were OK now.....all the flights I have made in the past year and a half (only a handful, I admit), I took small quilting needles & pins on board with me. I used either a dental floss package or a thread cutter instead of scissors, of course, but the needles went through without comment. And I sat around waiting to board, and on board the plane, sewing away with them in plain view.

If I were you, I might be inclined to play dumb and take along just a couple of needles tucked into your project....and bring the SASE like marvy suggests.

Small applique needles= baaad.
    4 books of matches and 2 lighters= okay!

Nice job homeland security.

In my experience travelling (I travel a lot on business), things vary a great deal from airport to airport, despite what the TSA says. Even though you were told this, I would still go for it and see what happens.

I've had no problems bringing needles on planes, have done it many times since 9/11, and I swear I read somewhere that "small craft needles" are permitted (but this TSA list doesn't address them either way). If your needle is fine and not a large embroidery needle (even though all crafters know embroidery needles are blunt and actually less dangerous than sewing needles I doubt security people know this) you really won't have a problem, I don't think it will even show up on the x-ray. I keep bringing coils of fine wire on board with me and have never even had my carry-on flagged for a hand inspection. Worst to worst they make you throw it away, not a big. For god's sake you can bring a corkscrew on board! That seems much more dangerous than a sewing needle.

ok, boxcutters, i can understand, but sewing needles?!? that's really a threat?
    i can just see someone brandishing a needle to an air marshall..."stand back! or i'll prick you! i mean it!"

i think i might try and play dumb, and pack one or two and some pins. worse case, they take them and i just get some more. oh and the dental floss pachage is a great idea, thanks.

honeybee- that was so funny. I know really, what could I do? Pierce their ears for them? The needles I use are so thin I don't even think I could that.

oh, and knitting needles and crochet needles are allowed by TSA.

Is it time for me to bring back my "Crafters are NOT Terrorists" t-shirt?

I've taken my embroidery supplies (minus the scissors- I use nail clippers) on several flights with no problems.

I'm a travel agent and some of my clients have had the weirdest things taken away - childproof scissors for one - give me break. I have a ton of surgical metal in my ankle that gets me searched. More than a few times, my darn bra underwire has gotten me searched. That said I have been waived thru security by British Airways more than once when late for a flight - their security beats ours by far and has for a very long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads