first craft fair... eek!

Hi Everyone. This is my first real post, I introduced myself in that section if that counts. So anyway, I am attending my first ever craft fair (I make organic body care bath goodies) and I am looking for pointers. Is it a good idea to have samples or do you think that would get messy? I know it is hard to estimate, but in general, how does one know how much inventory to bring? I am clueless! I am going to the Glitter work shop x-mas craftacular in Madison...very exited ;) If anyone has any suggestions I would looooove to hear it. PS Never buy a huge bag of hershey kisses to make those peanut butter cookies with a hershey kiss inside. If you get lazy (like I did) and decide not to make the cookies, your are left with this really big, delicous looking bag of kisses and you will just eat them all like I am doing right now.

2. # ADS

I've done 2 craft fairs before and have talked to people in booths near me that sold organic soaps. One woman said that when she starting putting out demos of her soaps/lotions that were in pump-bottles, it nearly tripled her sales.

If your bath goodies are in bar form, however, that might be a bit difficult.

As for quantity, bring as much as you can the first day. Depending on your area and quality of your product, you could easily sell out. I sold home-made piggy banks at my first craft fair and sold out in 3 hours. I had to drive home (an hour away) and lost nearly 3 hours where I could have been selling more.

After the first day you'll have a good idea as to how well your product will sell, but it's better to bring extra then to be stuck without any supply!

At a craft show I did last year there was someone selling bath products who did what I thought was was the most brilliant thing ever--he (yes, it was a he, surprisingly) put pumps of his hand soap in the bathrooms.

The show was held in a park fieldhouse that had really awful soap, so of course everyone used his soap, which was wonderful and smelled like chai. He was swamped the whole day. I actually wanted to buy some, but it was too crowded around his table, so I gave up on it.

That is a good idea about the bathrooms - ideally with a little note indicating where your booth is if it is a big show.

As a bath products consumer, I won't buy anything without smelling it. So, even if your stuff isn't really condusive to sampling (like bar soap), if there is one un-wrapped enough that I can smell it, I would be more likely to buy it.

And good luck at the fair! I'm sure you'll do great.

thanks everyone

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am feeling better. I know for sure now I should have samples for smelling at least. The aroma of my products are one of the best things so I would be missing out alot if I didt do that ;) I am going to make as much as I can to bring, and if I start running out (a girl can dream) I will take orders to ship!

Also, if you can manage it, make sure to make the rounds (maybe a bit before the show opens to the general public) to say hello to your fellow vendors. I've met so many cool people that way!

Remove Ads

Ads