Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Getting radically crafty

Hey all-- you read our editorial minds. Christy and I have been doing some "behind the scenes" stuff to organize a new Get Crafty charity initiative. Stay tuned to the "announcements" section for more details soon!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by belleepoque
    Hey all-- you read our editorial minds. Christy and I have been doing some "behind the scenes" stuff to organize a new Get Crafty charity initiative. Stay tuned to the "announcements" section for more details soon!
    Very cool!

Glad to hear that! I've been busy the past few days, so I was pleasantly surprised to see al of the responses. while my life is insane right now, I'm planning on decorating some gloves over the next few months (picot crochet stitch applied to inexpensive but warm gloves) for the homeless.

I always hear about knit and crochet also- maybe someone needs to start a jewelry crafting drive? Or storybooks for kids (imagine- handmade pop-up books!)? Or toymaking, since crocheted and knitted toys seem to be popular (do we have any woodworkers out there)?

Here in NYC we have groups like Housing Works that help people set up homes for themselves while they are struggling with various diseases. If a person has a new apartment (I'm brainstorming here- there are people who have just gotten out of prison, or who are battered and starting over, or widows, etc.), simple things like potholders, dishcloths and other items would be a good way of helping out. Even a 'GetCrafty easy to make cookbook' with recipes donated by all of us from around the country and the world would be good- and copies could even be sold on ETSY, with the money going to any group that helps people, especially women and children. That would be a great way of putting feminism in action and reflect the DIY spirit of GetCrafty.

Lately I've been thinking about how each generation has its definitive craft book- the book that shows what really matters. "Our Bodies, Ourselves" could even be seen that way- it showed women how to take care of themselves. Julia Child and the Rombauers did that- they showed America how to eat, and how to dress a table, and how to entertain simply but beautifully. Back in the day there was Fannie Farmer and her Boston Cooking School cookbook, and even earlier we had Edith Wharton (The Decoration of Houses) and Mrs. Beeton (who had recipes for macaroni in the early 1800s). We have had Martha Stewart for a while, but she tends to take the simple and make it fussy and sometimes pretentious. Perhaps we need to go back a bit and do a virtual version of what our grandmothers did- they made cookbooks of recipes donated by members of local women's groups. Perhaps some of us could work on a craft version- it could include recipes and easy and inexpensive crafts? Not too trendy, maybe- some of the classic stuff that modern women ought to know so they can take better care of themselves and their families, while taking pride in their handiwork and moving away from the consumerist mentality that makes people feel small and poor when they aren't buying things they don't want or need.

Wow. That was a lot. All I mean is- how about keeping up the postings of projects while pushing that can-do spirit that is often associated with women and crafts? I'm willing to donate some time to work on such a project, and I have recipes and some easy crafts.

I haven't posted to this thread yet because I didn't feel I had anything original to contribute, just random cheerleading of everything that had been said. Now I've settled down at my computer with coffee and bread, deleted some spam from the forums, and was excited to share my thoughts...and anthrogirl has gone and read my mind.

I was looking through some old family/community cookbooks last night and thought how useful and fun it might be to have a craftista's version. Particularly the community cookbooks didn't just stop at stew and cake recipes, they also included basic info about cooking (eg, what temp is chicken done at), the community they were compiled in and household chores. I thought a craftista spin on all those things, plus info about simple crafts to enliven your home and yourself (as well as take some stress out of giftgiving) would be such a gift to a new homeowner (a target audience I think of a lot due to my experience with Habitat for Humanity) or just anyone trying to put they're life together or make do with very little.

They don't have to be big, glossy affairs either. While I <3 a beautiful craft book as much as the next lady, the cookbooks I'm referencing have a simple cardstock cover and either plastic or metal binding (though, personally, I kind of like the idea of a 3-ring binder where all the entries have holes in them, so people can choose to move the stuff most relevant to them toward the front). They're usually only printed in one or two colors, but if you look at the layout of getcrafty (which I always thought was pretty spiffy), you'll realize a lot of pretty can be managed with a limited palette.

Anyway, sorry to rehash your post, anthrogirl, but I thought I'd share how I came to the idea, too. :)

i love Love LOVE the idea of a getcrafty community cookbook / housekeeping primer. i definitely have a few recipes to contribute and would like to be involved in something like this.

artgeek, i think that is a brilliant idea and we should do it! i pm'd you...

Quote Originally Posted by artgeek
    I was looking through some old family/community cookbooks last night and thought how useful and fun it might be to have a craftista's version. Particularly the community cookbooks didn't just stop at stew and cake recipes, they also included basic info about cooking (eg, what temp is chicken done at), the community they were compiled in and household chores. I thought a craftista spin on all those things, plus info about simple crafts to enliven your home and yourself (as well as take some stress out of giftgiving) would be such a gift to a new homeowner (a target audience I think of a lot due to my experience with Habitat for Humanity) or just anyone trying to put they're life together or make do with very little.
    We must be channelling each other! Even though I've never volunteered for Habitat for Humanity (you rock, by the way), I was thinking the same thing, because my students are college aged and many of them don't know how to cook or run a household.

It might be fun to pair a craft or two with recipes, info on how to shop for good cheap food, how to run a kitchen, how to do simple cleaning. Like a simple crochet project on how to make potholders with how to make a chicken with gravy, along with how to set the table for company (I've found a lot of people don't know how to do that anymore, since so many people eat fast food). And then maybe every person participating can mention where he or she lives, his or her favorite craft, favorite charity, and the best craft stores in his or her area.
    How does that all sound? If we mention stores, it's more likely that those places will stock the book. And since I know a few of you have connections with book publishing, we may even be able to get distribution. But keeping the price down would be key, because it would be nice to have the kind of book that would be cheap enough for groups like Habitat to buy and give away with new homes or apartments. what do people think?

yes! i think it is a great idea, and I'm sure Christy would agree with me (not that you need us to). i think lulu.com is a great option for both printing and sales (eliminating the need to buy a ton of stock up front, since it is POD). since putting together the kind of thing i know we'd all like to see has a lot of moving parts, it might be best to have a commitee of volunteers steering everything (structuring the contents, organizing contributions, getting layout together etc) in the right direction.

since it is the brainchild of artgeek and anthrogirl, i'd nominate you two as committee chairpeeps, but you'd have to say yes :)

i worked in book publishing for 5 years before going freelance so I'd love to be involved.

I love the direction all this has taken! I'd be happy to pitch in however is needed.

To get about 47 steps ahead of us, I think it would be nice if in addition to making them available for purchase, there was a way for people to buy copies on behalf of interested charities.

i'm really excited about this idea-- i think it will take a little while to work out the details, but it's going to rock!

In the meantime, get your crafty juices flowing to benefit homeless children and check out the info on our very first Getcrafty Handmade Holiday Drive
    http://www.getcrafty.com/viewtopic.php?t=8124

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads