Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kitties covered in flees!

I have 2 totally indoor cats and a weird flee problem. I have not seen a live flee on my cats in over 6 months but they are covered with that black flee poop stuff and the white eggs. What is up with that?
    Also does anyone have any natural/homemade solutions to flee problems?

2. # ADS

get your cats some Advantage or another high-quality flea treatment. if they have flea poop on them, they are being bitten by fleas, regardless of whether you have seen a flea on them or not.

natural flea remedies just don't work that well, and the ingredients in some natural remedies (ie pennyroyal oil) can be toxic to your cat.

i know Advantage is expensive, but being bitten by fleas is just as shitty for your cats as it is for you. since your cats are indoor only, you may be able to stop treating them after a few months, after all of the existing eggs in your house hatch and the adults die.

brewers yeast and garlic are good for keeping flees away and from biting.
    You can give your cat chicken livers, which is good for their coat and is a good way to get them to eat the yeast and garlic if they will not eat it on their own.

You are going to have to get rid of them first though, this will really only keep them away, but not necessarily get rid of them.

I agree with Annahbee...go get Advantage. I've run the gammit with flea medicine. I've used the cheap stuff, I've used natural remedies...nothing worked till I got the Advantage. If you order it from pets.com, and order the kind for kittens 9 pounds and under, it will cost around $38, and free shipping and handling.
    Fleas can live dormant anyhow, as well as their eggs for many many months at a time, so it is best to break the cycle of fleas as fast as possible.
    Vacuuming to get rid of fleas in your house is the only natural remedy I've known to actually break the cycle of flea infestation. I had to vacuum twice a day...it did make a big difference.
    I wish you luck and go order that flea medicine!

you should only use the kind for cats 9 pounds and under if your cats actually are 9 pounds or under. if they're bigger, get the bigger size. if you purchase it through your vet, they can tell you how to split up the biggest (large dog) size tubes, and that is the best value, but you will need the vet to give you a syringe to measure out cat-sized doses.

Only about 5% of fleas are on the cat, the rest are in the environment. In this case that'd be your house.

Fido's Flea Bombs are great for nuking the house. Then vacuum vacuum vacuum (and toss the bag in the bin *lol*)

Capstar tablet will kill the adult fleas and give kitty a break from the biting.

Advantage will give long term protection.

Advantage will work even if you don't do the house bombs and the Capstar, but it'll only last 2-3 weeks as the load is just too great.

Be careful what you go for in the way of natural remedies. You need to keep in mind that there is a pH balance that has to be maintained within a cat's system to prevent certain conditions, and that cats are generally sensitive little things. Treatments that work for dogs (some essential oils etc) are not very good for cats at all.

advantage, flea bombs. yep. if that isn't doing the trick, you may need to call a pest control company to do the bombing. that can be a pain, because the chemicals that are used are so strong that you will need to vacate with your cats for 24 hours.

i would highly recommend waiting out the latency period with lots of vacuuming and Advantage. indoor foggers/bombs and pest control companies use some pretty nasty stuff that can be toxic to you and your cats. as long as there isn't a reservoir of fleas in your home (a neighbor with pets, etc) as soon as you start treating your cats the fleas wil start to die off, and eventually you will get them under control.

Thank you all for the advice!
    I have started vacuuming all the floors and furniture...a lot!
    I guess I will have to just try the Advantage. I wanted to try to stay away from that sort of thing but it seems to be the best option for now.
    Thanks

once you get rid of them, i'd recommend making a spray with eucalyptus oil (just put several drops in a spray bottle with some rubbing alchohol) and religiously spray it around your house. managed to keep them at bay when i had an indoor/outdoor cat with kittens. i realized how well eucalyptus worked when we had this poor boy kitty that was always flea-ridden. then we moved to a house with eucalyptus trees out back. never saw a single flea there since he was always outside rolling around in the leaves. since then, i've seen collars treated with eucaluptus. but i've never had the heart to put a collar on a cat. i don't care if they say they're breakaway....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads