Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Birth Conrol Pill Question

I started taking the pill when i was 16 (i will be 17 in a few months...), I'm not sexually active but i wasnt having a regualr period (never except once) and my doctor recommended it for my acne.

So, i started having a period and my face cleared up...a few months later i moved out of state and hadnt gotten my Rx refilled. I decided to stay off it b/c it was summer and i wanted to lose the weight i had gained when i first started taking it(10 lbs.).

So everyting was fine, and its summer so it really didnt bother me not to have my period but my skin is starting to get bad again so im prolly going to get back on the pill....My question is; is there a particular brand that wont make you gain weight? I'm not sure which one i was taking before b/c my step mom always got it filled for me... Othro Evera maybe...but im not 100% sure...

2. # ADS

Your gynecologist should be able to answer that question for you. He/She should be aware of the side effects associated with all of the different brands out there.

I took Alesse for about four years and never experienced any weight gain.

I can't recommend brands because I'm in the UK and they have different brand names here. The doctor at the clinic I go to INSISTED that the pill really made no difference to one's weight, but since I changed pill I've started to lose weight without any other changes in diet or exercise, so I think it can make some difference. But everyone reacts differently to different hormones. If one pill doesn't work for you, give it another couple of months (to give your body time to get used to it) and then try another if it's still no good.

Girl, I feel you. I started taking Ortho Tri Cyclen and my skin, which had always been really bad, became totally, totally clear. And I gained 10 pounds and became a total bee-otch.

Then I went on another pill and another and the same thing.

I went off for about a year and my face (now at age 22) went RIGHT back to nasty. So I decided to give it another shot. I went on Mircette. My skin almost instantly cleared up. It was a miracle. And I'm as thin as I've ever been, really, with no change in eating or exercise habits.

Of course, I know you realize that the pill affects everyone really differently. Mircette has been a lifesaver for me, though.

allison

birth control pill

pfft. doctors. i went on a really high oestrogen pill for my skin and i looked like the michelin man. i retained so much fluid that i probably would have drowned if i stood on my head. i'm in australia, so the names may not be the same, but i tried loette (which is a very low dose pill) which was OK, then i went on yasmin which i love.i havent lost any weight, but i havent put it on, and my skin looks luverly. good luck. fiddling with your hormones is a very trying process.

I'm sorry I can't relate to your skin problems, because I took the pill so I wouldn't get preggo! But I hate to say it, it seems just about all pills will have drawbacks.

For me, I didn't gain too much, but I was a ranting bitch all the time! Plus, my boobs grew a size, wayyyy to fast to be comfortable. I was not a happy camper.

Eventually, my boobs were growing out of their new size, (d) and I was having mood swings, and I just gave up. I really don't wanna mess with my horomones.

Is there any other kind of pill you can take for your skin that's not a birth control pill??

i had a friend with cystic acne and her dr wanted to put her on a really harsh drug for it, along with BCPs. she refused because she wanted to reduce her chemical load, not increase it, and she became vegetarian, stop drinking alcohol, reduced her sugar and increased her exercise level, and it worked wonders.

I take Yasmin. The doctor recommended it for a couple reasons.

1. I am pretty young (16) and she didn't want me to go on a high dose Pill.
    2. I had one of my ovaries removed because it became a tumor and was secreting testosterone.
    3. I have acne.
    4. I specifically told her I did not want to gain weight. (I have tried ortho tri cyclen and gained about 10 pounds and go stretch marks--not fun)

So, with the exception of the whole ovary thing, we have pretty similar symptons. I suggest checking out Yasmin.

I just wanted to second crochet_hooker on the Mircette. Been taking it for a year and it's great. Didn't go nuts like with the other brands I've tried, almost no weight gain (my boobs just got a little bigger), and my skin cleared up dramatically. And I get it from Planned Parenthood for free which rocks.

I am on Nordette, and I didn't gain any weight. I don't think the brand name really matters, though..it all depends on your body and how you react to the specific brand of pill. There are hundreds of birth control brands out there, and it's just kind of a trial and error thing..keep trying them until you find the one that works best for your body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads