Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by Slinkster
    4. It really gets on my nerves when people don't reset the community microwave at my work. When I walk by and see the numbers flashing I just want to scream. I don't know why that bothers me so much but it does.
    blinking clocks bug me too!

WRT Apparent racism: when I was a kid, my dad LOVED telling jokes, in his list were a number of offensive jokes, but rather than saying, the blond, or whatever group was the target he would say "the Brothers-Not-So-Bright" that way only not so bright brothers were offended. I did not even realize until I was older that so many of his jokes were off color originally.
    Way to go pops!

~Q

2. # ADS

i'll have to avoid you, quornflour :) i talk about my cat pretty damn much. and trust me, i have much more going on in my life, it's just that i love my cat very much and he's always doing painfully adorable and/or hilarious things.

along the "i don't meant to be ____, but _____" thing, i hate it when people preface saying something really offensive with "no offense" like, "no offense, but you look really ugly in that shirt" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    i'll have to avoid you, quornflour :) i talk about my cat pretty damn much.
    you can hang out with one of my co-workers then...

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    "no offense" like, "no offense, but you look really ugly in that shirt" or whatever.
    yeah, me I pretty much just skip the nicey nicey and tell people they look ugly in the shirt.

but then I am pretty honest like that.

~Q

ooooh, I just heard another peeve of mine!

When someone ends a statement with a question sound. I work with someone who does that with every thing she says. She also says "irregardless".

I too have many pet peeves, so I'll focus on the latest one:

When I say thank you and someone responds, "Uh huh."

I'm trying to be polite here. How hard is it to say, "You're welcome"?!?!?

And what ever happened to raising your hand up (waving) when someone lets you cut in? I slowed down for you, for crying out loud? You can't even wave?!

Because I am anal and tend to over-categorize everything, the "No offense, but" or "I don't mean to sound racist, but" type comments are offensive on too big a scale to qualify as pet peeves for me. I don't need to har anything after the "but" thanks.

My pet peeves definitely include any number of rude driver behaviors. I'll let you get away with almost anything if you use the thank you/I'm sorry/man, I'm a huge idiot I can't believe I just did that wave. If you think you can drive full speed all the way up to the blinking arrow and not merge until the pylons force you to when the rest of us have been waiting for 10 minutes and not wave when I let you in, you've got another thing coming.

And audible breathing and chewing make my skin crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinkster
    She also says "irregardless".
    haha - I have a friend who does this all the time, makes me want to crack his head.

Quote Originally Posted by cackalackie
    When I say thank you and someone responds, "Uh huh."

I'm trying to be polite here. How hard is it to say, "You're welcome"?!?!?
    the other thing about this that pisses me off is when you are in a restaurant or other service establisment and you say "thank you" the correct response is "thank you" not "you're welcome" or "yeah, sure" - though a "You're welcome" is better than a "Uh huh" or "yeah, sure."

I have a few pet peeves--cell phones being at the top of the list. I do not want to hear the personal, frequently very personal, conversations of others in restaurants, stores and especially in a library. Do people truly believe that they are so important that we all need to know about their private lives. And I wish that people, mostly men, would learn some manners and not wear their hats indoors. Jee, venting does make one feel better even if we know it probably won't change other people's behaviour.

How about when you say "thank you" to a person working in a store or other business and that person replies "no problem"? No problem? No, it's your job, jerk; I'm just being human here and polite.
    And then when you're eating in a restaurant and the server comes over and asks "Are you still working on that?" Working on it? Working? And here I thought I was enjoying a brief respite and nutrition. (A recent New Yorker cartoon shows that I'm not the only one who objects to this. The image is of a diner surrounded by traffic cones saying "Yes, I'm still working on this."

Quote Originally Posted by Schmatta
    How about when you say "thank you" to a person working in a store or other business and that person replies "no problem"? No problem? No, it's your job, jerk; I'm just being human here and polite.
    Have you ever heard of MAGIC? Make A Great Impression on the Customer. It's a training course that I had to take and there was a list of "Tragic Phrases" and this one was on there for the same reason you stated.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads