Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Election Day- We're living in an historic time

My boyfriend called me to day and shocked me, and I have to share this info with you all. No matter what your party affiliation, you might want to take a look at this. It's the lead story in this week's issue of 'The American Conservative' which was started by Pat Buchanan. Entitled, 'The GOP Must Go', the magazine is urging conservatives to vote Democrat on tuesday, to show a lack of confidence in White hHouse polices. The article also essentially supports everything liberals have been saying for 5 years- that civil liberty, fair play and democracy are more important than partisanship.
    http://www.amconmag.com/2006/2006_11_20/feature.html

The New York Times has also made an historic move- for the first time in living memory, it's not endorsing any Republicans. BTW, in New York the Times is viewed as 'right of center to consersative,' not liberal.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/05/op...=1&oref=slogin

The Army Times and the other newspapers in the Military Times stable is putting out an editorial entitled "Rumsfeld Must Go". http://www.armytimes.com/

And finally, in 'Vanity Fair', the architect of the Iraq War finally admits that he made a mistake.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/f...?currentPage=2

I fully expect to see a rain of frogs and locusts over NYC tomorrow. No doubt Santa will be coming on Xmas Eve, and the Easter Bunny will show up next year. For the first time since I was 8, I may have to leave put some cookies on Dec. 24th- after all, if all this is happening, Santa is probably real, too.

2. # ADS

Maybe I'm just burned out on optimism after the last couple of elections, but I fully expect the Republicans to hang on to both the House and the Senate. They're politically astute, and the Democrats are morons. And their gloating on Wednesday is going to make me want to slit my throat. Actually, I'm going out of the country next weekend, and the shame of facing non-Americans is going to make me want to slit my throat even more.

Could you all please make sure to go and vote for the Democrats on Tuesday so I can feel a bit less like slitting my throat?

I feel your pain. But I think the neo-cons will be on the run. Yet I also think most of the Democrats running the party are morons, and I'm a lifelong Democrat. However, I vote, and I'll be doing so and thinking of you on Tuesday.

Yeah. I think it's amazing that everyone, including the neo-cons, know that neo-con policies have failed utterly, and yet people still vote for the folks who implemented those policies. I fundamentally don't get it. Which isn't a problem. The problem is that the people in charge of planning electoral strategy for the Democrats don't get it either.

Yeah, after seeing Hacking Democracy on HBO this weekend, I don't know how much it matters anyway. Even when the Dems win, the Republicans make sure they lose.

My boyfirend, whose training is in political science, explained it thisly. When the Constitution was written, it gave the power to the 'yoeoman farmers'- i.e., the heartland. California has as many votes in the Senate as Colorado, even though it has more people. Therefore many of our policies are in the hands of people who go to the pollsfaithfully, bot who are the least cosmopolitan, the least travelled, the least likely to meet people with diverse opinions, and the least likely to comprehend world affairs. However, to stop voting because 'it doesn't mater' would mean even more dienfranchisement. One possible longtime solution? We need to build up and urbanify the heartland. Why do you think evangelicals and arch concervatives obsess about movies and tv? Because they don't reflect the narrowminded views of the Americans who are most likely to not care about the world.

i just want sonny purdue to go.

and i want the chanukah fairy to sprinkle tha yarn store with noro.

and i wnat ellen and oprah to run for res and vp in '08. at least there would be lotsa dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by janaka
    iand i want the chanukah fairy to sprinkle tha yarn store with noro.
    That is totally going to be my slogan when I run for office. Some noro on every needle!

Yup. Noro for ALL the good little children!

Quote Originally Posted by janaka
    i just want sonny purdue to go.
    Fuckin' Sonny.

I miss living in Georgia so, so, so much ... but I remember the day after he was elected a good friend of mine called me and said, "See? Aren't you glad not to live in the state that elected grown men named Sonny and Saxby to be its leaders?"

And yeah, I was. Even though I had just moved to a state where the Terminator was soon to become governor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads