Family grab bag?! Help!

Usually my family does a name drawing for all of us kids. This year they have decided to do a grab bag... I'm stumped! What do you get or make for someone, boy or girl, between the ages of 20-44? I have an idea to make an adult size apron in a nice neutral color and some cooking supplies, spices and or recipes... since quite a few of us like to cook. Does that sound like a good idea? Then we still have one more to do. Any ideas? Help!

2. # ADS

i'd do that, or a gift card to some place very neutral like a book store or hardware store.

Do you have a price range that the bags need to be under/over?

maybe a gift card to a book store, bookmarks and a reading light...

blockbuster gift card (netflix, whatever), microwave popcorn, goobers and other movie theater related things?

sorry, all of mine seem to contain gift cards because it's so hard to think about something specific with that huge range!

chocolate
    homemade quickbreads (pumpkin, spice, apple, etc)
    neutral colored scarf, hat, gloves
    gift card to local music store or iTunes
    gift cert to movie theater
    really good coffee
    socks!
    a throw or blanket (everyone likes to be warm) :)
    an ice scraper and those hand warmer thingies that heat up
    neutral gender photo album
    candles

Oh yeah, duh! There is a limit of $20-25.
    Thanks for the ideas so far... There are some really great ones. I like the movie theme one, maybe a lap or throw blanket in w/ that? Wow! Keep them coming, the brainstorming is really helping!

a really cool gender-neutral scarf?

my favorite warm scarves ever are these super-simple polar fleece scarves from the gap that i've gotten a few of over the years. don't know if they still have them, tho, but they'd be super simple to make of course.... good around the neck and makes a great impromptu hoodie because they're pretty wide.

You could do a movie night - with a gift card, some of those giant boxes of candy (they have 'em at the dollar store), some microwave popcorn and a cute popcorn bowl (the melted LP kind are fun to make) or blanket to snuggle under.

You could do a pasta night - gourmet pasta sauce, dry pasta, cool bowls, one of those fork-spoon things, a bottle of wine, cloth napkins or whatever fun stuff you find in the home section until you are out of money.

You could do a game night - with poker chips or a board game. Add a bit of craftiness with a set of handmade invitations and/or snacks.

A windowsill herb garden or one of those garden in a bag things with some other fun cooking things (recipes, hot pads, gadgets and the other things already suggested).

If you want to go with a gift card, you could throw in a little project to make it a little crafty and personal.

Home Depot/Lowe's card + you could paint, embroider, bedazzle (okay, that's not gender neutral) or otherwise embellish one of those little aprons for holding nails. (or you could embellish a tape measure or any other small tool)

Starbucks card + espresso truffles or a knit coffee cozy (basically a 3 inch tapered tube - I have pictures of one of these on my blog- super easy)

Williams Sonoma/Whole Foods or any other foodie gift card + homemade hot pad, recipe cards, embellished apron, spice rub, etc.

Sporting Goods card + gender neutral hat or mittens, "Team (Your Last Name)" stencilled gym bag/shirt

Bookstore + fancy coffee/hot cocoa mix (my ideal rainy afternoon) or you could make a glasses case (unless reading glasses are a sensitive subject with some of your fam)

Okay, I'm getting carried away. But you get the idea.

OMG! craftfetish, you are a grab bag goddess! Thanks, great ideas!!

Why neutral? I say go girly or boyly and run with it, it almost makes it more fun! But that's just me... I guess it depends on everyones sense of humor too...

What crafts do you do, because that can greatly effect what I suggest?

Remove Ads

Ads