Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do you feel about 're-gifting'?

Is it tacky to give away something that was given to you?

I really try to hang on to the heart felt gifts but the 'commercial' gifts are piling up! I'm not the type to pull out the 'ugly' table linens, 6 toaster ovens, etc.. when the giver visits. But what to do with them...? I have given quite a few of the older ones (still boxed) to good will, but what to do with the rest?

Any suggestions? -PHH

2. # ADS

I think regifting is 100% fine, given the situation.

If someone gives you something, perhaps they think you will love it and you don't, perhaps they do not care and it shows, perhaps they love it so they think you should have it... eitherway - if you do not love it, or you do not need it, or you do not want it and it is in good shape, why let it take up space in your house? Why let it go to waste if it is perfect for someone else.

The same thing applies to gift giving, you should not be insulted if someone regifts something you gave them.

It really depends on the gift...

Plus I have yet to learn how regifting is worse than returning a gift to the store for cash or store credit??

I have more to say but my words are not working right now...

I think re-gifting is fine. Especially with commercial gifts. Just make sure it's to a COMPLETELY different circle of friends.

I think that it is okay to give away the things that you receive that you don't need and/or want. If you know someone who would love it or who needs it, feel free to pass the gift along. However, you should be cautious with re-gifting for occasions [weddings, birthdays, etc...] because some people are offended by the practice. If it is someone who you know is okay with re-gifting, then go right ahead but if you don't know then you probably shouldn't. As for the stuff laying around your house...if you really just want someone to use it and you don't want it cluttering up your space you could aways give it to charity. What better way to honor the person who gave you the gift than to donate it to a charity in their name!

as long as you're not regifting something that is just plain awful, or one of those gifts that you know the person put their heart and soul into making then I think it's just fine.

i'm all for re-gifting, especially if it is something that you will never use and you know the person you are giving it to will.

i'm all about function. if it has been sitting for two years in my closet waiting for something, then it is okay to give it. just as long as it does not go to the person who gave it to you.

I think there are even times when you can regift something to the person who gave it to you...
    For example if you know that they really wanted it when they gave it to you. Just make sure you wrap it in different paper and say something like I know how much you loved it when you got me one.
    Or if it is really horrible and it was a joke when you got it, like between sisters or something.

i'm all about regifting generic unhandmade gifts, but only in a situation where the original gift-giver won't know. like Athos said, if it's a different circle of friends. if i get scented products that i couldn't use anyways, i will regift them to someone who will enjoy them.

Regifting is fine. I agree that in most cases you should regift to someone in a completely different circle.

Donation is a great idea too, especially if it's something you wouldn't want to give to a friend :)

You could also consign things - we have quite a few consignment shops in Portland that'll take things in good shape.

Regifting is great! However, don't regift something trully crappy. And really think through the six degrees of seperation BEFORE you pass it on. Oh, and do not regift personalized or monogrammed gifts-- bad style.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads