Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

if you could live anywhere...?

where would you live?

I am getting tired of this city it makes me wonder about other people and what they like about where they live and what they want in a place to live...

if it had to be in the US where would you live?
    if it could be anywhere in the world where would you live?

why?

what is great about where you live?

~Q

2. # ADS

If I could live anywhere in the US I think I would choose Savannah, Georgia. I fell in love with the city when I visited. It seems so peaceful and friendly.

Anywhere in the world? I wouldn't mind living in Canada because they have Universal Healthcare and are just ultimately cooler.

I live in an older suburb of Kansas City. I love where I live because it is reasonably affordable, traffic is minimal, cultural experiences are bountiful but you have to be willing to look for them. On the Kansas side and in some newer Missouri suburbs public schools are some of the best in the country. That is not the case in Kansas City, MO proper. We have all four seasons with all weather extremes. That makes each day a liitle different. Summer is a treat and Spring and Fall are beyond words. Winter can be miserable. Our downtown is in the middle stages of extensive revitalization, although it does not rival large cities as far as living and ammenities. Kansas City and the surrounding suburbs are very easy to live in, if you want a suburban life.

There are drawbacks as well. We have very little mass transit, the suburbs sprawl for miles, and some parts are like Stepford. I'm from those parts, so they don't bother me quite as much. We have had a massive influx of big box stores, but there are definite pockets of independent artists and retailers trying to make it work. As the downtown area grows, those individuals will have more and more success. There are also a few small towns nearby that have built a reputation on being a great day trip with independently owned and operated shops.

I like living here, but I haven't lived anywhere else. I've travelled quite a bit to both big cities and small towns, but no matter where I go, Kansas City is home.

ironically, quornflour, i think i'd like to move TO seattle! i grew up in california, so i miss the west, but i was in the OC until college and then in the bay area for school (and three years afterward), so i think it'll be a while before i'm that far south again. i want a city with a flourishing art scene (indie musicians and writers in particular), progressive politics, and lots of thunderstorms. hence seattle (also i apartment-hunted there a few years ago, just before i moved to NYC, and loved it - if i'd been confident about finding a job i'd probably have gone for it).

if i could go anywhere in the WORLD, on the other hand, i'd move back to oxford (UK) in a heartbeat (i lived there in '99 and got married there this year). it's close enough to london that i could get my city fix when i needed it, it's bursting with libraries, it's gorgeous, it's got weird little pubs all over the place, and...well, i'm an anglophile.

as for what's great about where i live (manhattan): there's always something to do, i can find whatever i need whenever i need it (unless it's red glass ball christmas ornaments - i spent six hours running all over the city looking for them on sunday), my friends and family pass through all the time, and you can't beat the X factor. i saw a tough-looking guy carrying a boom box blasting the theme song from "reading rainbow" once, and it made my whole week.

i don't know if i could ever really choose...i mean, i haven't experienced the whole world yet! but if i must pick i will.

first of all, the us. i currently live in nyc, and although you can't really beat that, i am starting to get tired of it. i am really feeling l.a. right now...the boy is trying to get to know one of the higher-ups at his company so he can explore the option of transferring, and i am so up for it! plus my brother lives there. permanently, meaning settle down, get married and have kids, maybe portland, maine or somewhere in northern california.

in terms of the world, i would definitely say tokyo. i am trying to learn japanese and spent time there this past summer and love japan so much that i'd move there in a second! i also love paris and would live there if i could.

pretty much where i live now. well, where my parents live, in Sonoma County, not Davis, where i actually live now.

why would anyone want to live anywhere else, when you could live in northern california? i'm glad other people like places like LA or, um, Idaho, because it would be too crowded here, but i never want to live anywhere else permanently.

If I could live anywhere in the world, I would choose Italy.

I DO love northern CA, and could live in San Fran or the sonoma area.

However, I'm from, and currenly live in central NJ and I absolutely love it. I love access to the beach, NYC, philly, mountains, and great camping... contrary to popular belief, there is a good amount of nature here.

I also love the people here (NY/NJ). You always know exactly where you stand with people - no fake niceness, which grates on me worse than people being rude. I've heard this from lots of people who are from here, so if one moved here from say, kansas, it might not be so great.

I'm also so used to the fast-paced, fast-talking thing that I get frustrated when I travel....I always want to tell people to spit it out already.....

When people ask me about NJ in real life I tell them it's worse than they've heard so they will stay out :) My one complaint is that it's a bit too crowded.

I was born in Colorado - grew up on Southern California. Moved to Northern California with DH and 1 kid, had two more in No. Cal. We lived in the East Bay for 5 years, then lived in Sonoma for 3 years. Moved to Colorado for 5 years - and because of DH's work, are now back in So. Cal.

LOVED No. Cal. Would love to move back there. Sonoma is a beautiful place to live.

However, maybe because it's been so recent, I loved Colorado more. There's more space, fewer people, beautiful places. And if you're going to live someplace with 4 seasons - Colorado's are very mild.

So far, not really loving being back in So. Cal.

However, I must say, I've come to love all of the places that we've lived in, and I usually end up hating to leave them.

i was born on the east coast. it's a good place to be from but can't ever see myself moving back there.... i grew up in the sf bay area. i moved around a bit - pre-population boom (and during the boom) hollister, the sacramento area, potlatch, wa. hollister was OK for a boring family life. sacramento was just not for me. at all. WA could've been cool or at least tolerable had i lived somewhere that wasn't 45 minutes from civilization (i'm not counting the nearest town which was 15-20 miles away) like near seattle or even tacoma. even olympia, but that's a stretch but would've been better than where i was. yes, it's beautiful. but not for me. much rather visit people that live out in the boonies - then you can go away.

i returned to the bay area over a year ago and i'll move around it but i've learned my lesson; i won't leave again. it's such a great place. so diverse in every way possible. great shopping, art, entertainment, music.... close to the city and other urban areas. close to the beach. a few hours from the snow. so cal an acceptable driving distance or super-quick cheap plane ride away. there's just a good vibe here and the south bay is definitely currently undergoing a renaissance that is well worth recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinkster
    If I could live anywhere in the US I think I would choose Savannah, Georgia. I fell in love with the city when I visited. It seems so peaceful and friendly.
    Savannah IS one of the most beautiful places in the world. However, after living here for a few years, I've discovered Savannah is a great place to visit, but you don't want to live here. The crime rate and Savannah's reaction to it are horrific. Not to mention, the lack of decent education here.

After doing some research, I've decided to move to the Triangle area of NC (Raleigh or Durham) in a few months. There's so many more jobs, much better education, better cultural opportunities and not nearly as much crime per capita. Cost of living is about the same, but you get paid better than you would in Savannah. It's not as pretty as Savannah, but what else is?

SF area sounds great, but I wouldn't move there (or NYC) unless I was wealthy. I don't want to live someplace with so many great things to do but I can't afford any of them.

Katydid, I understand completely where you're coming from since I'm a New Yorker living in the South. Moving here was a total culture shock. That's one of the reasons we're moving to the Triangle--it's mostly transplants. There's a city there referred to as Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. I miss the sarcasm of the North. I also miss hearing about the Civil War--not the "War of Northern Aggression."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads