Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's Home?

Where's Home?

Where do you consider "Home."

I'm back living in the town I grew up in, and people say, "Oh, so you're back home." And I want to shake my head at them and say, No. And then I get to thinking, Where IS "Home." And the only thing I come up with is - where my family is. My DH, and 3 kids.

Maybe because my mom hasn't lived in the same house or town forever, that's not home. Maybe if my grandmother were still alive and lived in her house, that would be home. I moved here from Colorado, and loved it there - but is that home? Could/would I go back? I don't know.

So for me, I guess "Home" will always be wherever me and my DH make it.

Where's "Home" for you?

2. # ADS

definitely my parents' house. i don't think i will be able to think of a place as "home" as long as i have roommates.

Where I live. My city, New York. I'm one of those crazy people who would feel exiled if for some reason I had to leave with the lessened chance of coming back. Specifically, 'home' is the area near the East Village.

Home for me is quirky weird Rubber City, Akron, Ohio. Post- industrial Polymer Capital. No other town could spawn Devo, Waitresses, Pere Ubu, Suburban Tempe Productions, Chrissie Hynde, The Mice, Marti Jones, Swenson's Burgers, Bunny B saurkraut balls, HQ for Joann's and Goodyear, Inventor's Hall of Fame, a Police Museum, World of Rubber, has got to be Cool.

Don't believe me? We've got blimps, great clubs( both Decemberists and Henry Rollins make Akron a priority stop), CVNP, affordable housing, Luigi's pizza, quirky funky neighborhoods to rival Anthrogirl's. Universities, yep plural! Close to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus, etc. for quick trips. Getting our own Roller Derby team, Rubber City Demolition Dolls. Thriving arts and crafts scene, Don & Lisa Drumm Galleries. Westpoint Market.

All four seasons and skiing, too!

What's not to love??

I grew up in Maine (S. Freeport), but I do not call it home.
    I live in Washington (Seattle), but growing tired of it and think of myself more as a transplant.
    Went to college in Wisconsin (Ripon), it is the place I miss the most and get jumpy in my heart when I go there, even if no one I know is there.

The home I've made with my husband and cats. My parent's house was never a home and my in-laws' home is lovely, but not mine.

I consider Rochester and environs my home. I've lived here since I was 5 yrs old, and this is where my parents still are.
    My parents' home is not what I consider home, though. They moved a few yrs ago from the place that i knew of as my home too.
    I also don't really feel home in my present house. This place has been more of a transitional living arrangement...for the past 14 yrs!! LOL! I have a love/hate relationship with this house, and we've experienced too much turmoil here, so it's not a place where I feel settled.
    My second "home" so-to-speak, is in Switzerland, even thought I've never lived there for more than a month. I feel a strong connection to Switzerland, as my grandfather was born there. My heart literally soars when I step off the airplane onto Swiss soil! SIGH!!!
    But I haven't been able to go for 13 yrs. :( I miss it!

Quote Originally Posted by bessiemae
    Home for me is quirky weird Rubber City, Akron, Ohio. Post- industrial Polymer Capital. No other town could spawn Devo, Waitresses, Pere Ubu, Suburban Tempe Productions, Chrissie Hynde, The Mice, Marti Jones, Swenson's Burgers, Bunny B saurkraut balls, HQ for Joann's and Goodyear, Inventor's Hall of Fame, a Police Museum, World of Rubber, has got to be Cool.

Don't believe me? We've got blimps, great clubs( both Decemberists and Henry Rollins make Akron a priority stop), CVNP, affordable housing, Luigi's pizza, quirky funky neighborhoods to rival Anthrogirl's. Universities, yep plural! Close to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus, etc. for quick trips. Getting our own Roller Derby team, Rubber City Demolition Dolls. Thriving arts and crafts scene, Don & Lisa Drumm Galleries. Westpoint Market.

All four seasons and skiing, too!

What's not to love??
    It sounds perfect. Very much like downtown Manhattan or western Brooklyn!

I was born and spent my early childhood in northwestern Pennsylvania, but Phoenix is definitely home. I have lived here since 1970, and I still like it here--as long as I can fly back to NYC for the opera and the art museums every now and then.

for me, home happens to be wherever i'm staying at the moment. if it's where i'm currently living, then home is at my house in newport. if i'm visiting where i grew up, then home is at my parents' house in bowling green. it's all relative -- i say that i'm "going home" when i go visit my parents, and then i'm "going home" when i leave to come back... home... .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads