Kitty won't eat- HELP!

Hi Everyone-

I know there are lots of pet-parents around here, so I was hoping to get some insight/ideas.

My cat, Bella (who's about 7 years old) hasn't been eating the last day or so. A couple of days ago, I noticed she was only eating her hard food (she usually eats a combo of both hard and soft food), but I didn't think much of it, because she's gone through phases like that in the past. Two nights ago, I came home to find she had thrown up a large hairball (she has long hair and that is not uncommon), so I figured that's probably why she hadn't been acting like herself. Well, I noticed that she didn't eat any of the food I put out for her last night, and she hasn't eaten anything yet today. She has been drinking water, and I haven't noticed anything unusual in her litter box (she's not going more/less than usual). She's just not her usual chatty (okay, meow-y), friendly self either. Usually, when I come home, she runs up to the door to greet me and in the last couple of days, she's just been curled up somewhere.

I called the Vet and the soonest they could get her in is early tomorrow AM. They told me that as long as she didn't get worse, it should be fine to wait until tomorrow. If she does get worse, there is an animal ER nearby that I can take her to. However, I've managed to freak myself out after a quick google of "cat" and "not eating" about the many possible illnesses it could be!

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
    *r

2. # ADS

I was just at the vet today for a wellness check up - not eating is not a symptom of one or even several things, but A LOT of things, as well as NOTHING. That's why you are finding horror stories online, while your vet is telling you not to stress.

When a cat is sick - just like humans - one of the first things to be affected is their senses, so they don't smell or taste food as strongly and don't eat as well. To ease your mind until the appointment try some really flavorful/smelly food - like tuna fish juice or freshly cooked poultry.

It probably was just the hairball and the kitty is having a tough time getting back to normal - but good luck, just in case!

my cats have not had this type of problem, but i wanted to comment on the idea of taking Bella to the kitty ER.

my partner and i had to take both of our cats to the ER recently and man, did our wallets empty. the bill was horrifying... it was for a problem that probably would have been a fraction of the cost at our regular vet (who happened to be closed at the time.) if you and Bella can stick this out until tomorrow, your checkbook will thank you for it.

best to you and kitty.

it's really hard to say without seeing her, but if your vet thinks she can wait until the morning, they are probably right. if you think she looks really bad, take her to the emergency clinic. yeah, emergency clinics are expensive, but staying up all night agonizing over your cat sucks too. if she had not beed drinking, i would say, yeah, she probably needs to be seen right away, but if she isn't dehydrated one more night will probably be okay.

let us know how your kitty is feeling :)

Hope your kitty's doing well!

One thing I have noticed with cats is that they don't always deal well with changes around the house (I had a friend whose cat went on hunger strike and hid for a week after she painted a wall!). Have you made any changes around the house, redecorating, new furniture, new people, that sort of thing? It may not seem like a big deal to you, but if Miss Kitty has had a boringly stable life up to this point, a little change can send her into a tizzy. My cats haven't been able to get too comfy anywhere, being Army brats, so they deal with the change pretty well. They even like riding in the car! (Well, Nile does. Mischief just wails until you put him in your coat with his head poking out the front.) Good luck with the kitty, let us know what happens.
    -Corinne

Update on sick kitty?

Hello,

I'm bumping this thread up in hopes that you will be
    able to give us a good update on your kitty.

Hope things are going well.

A fellow Kitty Mom.

Kitty illness

Ok as a zoo keeper here ( animal count in home presently is eleven)I got to tell you don''t wait long to get kitty to the vet. The symptoms your cat is showing can be as server as bladder stones, kidney failure, and blockage of the intestines. Its best not to guess or keep a wait and see time period. Two days off feeding is not normal and is an indication of problems.
    Just to give you a heads up- not all dry cat food is the same. Read the contents carefully. High ash count is not good especially for older cats. Avoiding high ash cat foods can prevent alot of health problems from developing.

Remove Ads

Ads