Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilary Clinton

Hilary Clinton

Can somebody please explain to me why Hilary Clinton is so disliked ? I have encountered so much vitriol and hatred aimed toward this woman, and I can't figure out why she is such a hate figure for so many people.

I am assuming I must have missed her torturing puppies on live TV or something. As a Brit I am not hugely "up" on US politics or political culture, but I really cannot figure out what Hilary Clinton has done to create such strong feelins against her.

2. # ADS

Well, when her husband was Governor of Arkansas, she went by Hilary Rodham so that she'd be taken a smidge more seriously in her law firm. During the presidential election, such a move was considered anti-standing by your man. Ha ha. So that's why we hear Hilary Rodham Clinton.

Oh, and she made a comment about how she wasn't going to stay at home, baking cookies, which offended some homemakers. And Phyllis Schlafly, that evil evil evil lady.

I love the gal, personally. I think she's awesome. She's not perfect; she may very well be a liar (although I wouldn't go so far as to call her a "congenital liar"); her voting record on certain issues isn't ideal... but I like her.

A lot of people don't like her because they think she's some ice queen who actually wants to, gasp, get to the top of whatever she's doing.

My friend's exboyfriend is all anti-Hilary but pro-Carol Mosely Braun, as if to say, "Look how sexist I'm NOT! See, I like BRAUN! WOOH!"

this is just my humble opinion, but i believe some people are bitter about her because she was such a visable first lady. she was not content to let her brilliance take the back seat to her husband's position, and worked side-by-side with him on important issues that were her passion.

i remember some comment she made about not being content to stay home and bake cookies, and this understandably offended people. however, i think she should be forgiven, as she broke the mold of the typical stand-obediently-behind-your-man-and-smile mold of previous first ladies, and she continues to be an excellent politician. personally, i would vote for her in a second before most of the other presidential candidates i've seen lately.

eta:looks like we crossposted, soapandwater...as for her ice queen image, i think it's solely because she's a woman that she's branded with that and the "bitch" image. if she were a man, she'd be called "strong" and "direct" and "full of conviction".

As a politician's wife (and politician-in-the-making herself), her cookies comment wasn't a good comment, but I think she was just exasperated. I know I'm not always tactful when I'm upset, but of course, her words have way more weight, and especially at that time, than mine.

Oh, also, she had one too many bad hairstyles for the American people to love her. You know how hard it is to be accepted when your hair is jut not perfect!

I feel so bad for Chelsea Clinton. She had to spend her awkward years in the White House, which somehow made her "ugly". That was depressing. I think she's pretty.

I've often wondered the same thing. When I've asked people who dislike her to offer specific reasons, a lot of it seems to be the strong woman syndrome. They disagree with her policies and they see her as harsh, cold, whatever.

Speaking of Chelsea, I read the sweetest quote from her the other day. She said that when she was going through her awkward stage, people used to say she looked like her dad. Nowadays, more people tell her she looks like her mom, which is great, because she thinks her mom is beautiful!

I've said before, I love Hillary. She's my senator!

I agree with the previous posters as to why she's the subject of such viciousness: she's not a doormat. She is an extremely talented and intelligent woman that wasn't going to hide her skills and be the more traditional submissive, quiet first lady. Plus, there is this fear of her ambition. Like if you're a political wife, you're only supposed to live for your husband and have no dreams for yourself.

Re: Chelsea: does anyone else ever think about the horrible things that would have been said about her and her parents/upbringing had she pulled half the crap the Bush twins have? I mean, if Chelsea had been caught drinking with a fake ID all hell would've broken loose, but when Jenna did it...silence. Not that I think the Bush twins are bad or anything, they seem like normal college-age girls to me, I just think there was a double standard applied.

I agree with most of what's been said. I think reason number one is because she's a she.

Also, I think there's the "Evita" syndrome of trying to take on political actions when she wasn't an elected official...only the President's wife. On the one hand, I would have LOVED to have seen National Health Care be put forward under her guidance, but technically speaking, she had no official role in politics as a First Lady. I think she may have been overstepping her bounds in that arena a tad and gave many the excuse to shut her out. Which isn't to say I think the First Lady serves no political purpose. Laura Bush has been worthless. Think Elenor Roosevelt.

Yes, the comments about cookies was offensive (does anyone remember the following PR campaign with that hideous bouffant hairdo and her offering up a sheet of cookies? I'm not kidding!

Still, I simply think she's suffers the double standard applied to women. Just like Martha Stewart. If you are strong, aggressive and powerful it's admirable in a man, despised in a woman.

Thanks !

I had a feeling it was because she was female and didn't simply sit around looking decorative, but then questioned whether I was just being a paranoid feminist. Damn, sometimes I hate it when I am right.

Hillary's cookies

From the Boston Globe

The great Bush-Kerry bake-off
    By Laura Shapiro | July 11, 2004

Perhaps the last time anyone heard Hillary Rodham Clinton utter a spontaneous remark in public was the famous moment during the 1992 presidential campaign when she declared to a shocked -- shocked nation that she liked her job. Or, as she fatally put it, "I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was fulfill my profession." Pandemonium ensued, and Clinton was pounded nearly to dust for seeming to disparage domestic life and its coziest symbol, the cookie.

She never made such a mistake again; and thanks to Family Circle magazine, neither has any other prospective First Lady. Taking advantage of a rare national spotlight on home baking, the magazine promptly instituted a "cookie cook-off" between the wives of the major-party presidential candidates. Clinton and Barbara Bush submitted cookie recipes -- both chose versions of chocolate chip -- and readers voted for their favorites. Since then the magazine has staged a cook-off during each presidential campaign, and every time the victorious cookie has reflected the outcome of the election. This year Laura Bush's Oatmeal-Chocolate Chunk Cookies are pitted against Teresa Heinz Kerry's Pumpkin Spice Cookies, and the recipes can be found in the July 13 issue.

Sure, it's an insulting exercise -- no decent cookie should be subjected to the cynical demands of contemporary politics -- but it also tells us something about the requirements for a job more accurately described as First Wife. Clinton had every reason to believe her resume for this post was in good shape: She had the Mom credential and the adoring-helpmeet credential. But she made a bad mistake -- she forgot to apologize for working. She forgot to pretend that her one true home was home. In that sweet, simple America tended so lovingly by politicians and other bards of an imaginary past, the dream of separate spheres dies hard.

Hence the new rule for First Lady contenders: By their cookies ye shall know them. It's not such a bad idea. Food can tell us a great deal about those who prepare it as well as those who eat it; and compared with most forms of political speech, a cookie is likely to be quite articulate.
    [snip]

Read the rest at http://www.boston.com/news/politics/...kerry_bake_off.

Well, Laura Bush has the old-fashioned boringness of chocolate chunk going for her; I'd rather eat pumpkin spice. Maybe I'm just saying that.

It's good to see that not all of the media hates Senator Clinton for her decision to be something more than what has been delegated to her.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads