Just wanted to say HI!

Hello!
    I'm not new to the site, but it's been a couple years and I don't even remember who I used to be, so I'll just say hi again.

My New Year's resolution was to be more domestic, and as I type this I've got organic oatmeal raisin cookies in the oven, (for a friend who's sick) AND I'm wearing my awesome, patch-and-pin apron that I found while dumpster diving!

It's been awhile since I've made any of my own clothes, but in high school and early college I did it all the time. The most recent thing I made was I sewed a Morrissey patch and tee-shirt print onto a hoodie my mom gave me, and it looks awesome. I pulled out my old DIY book and now that I have some free time (I worked 4 jobs last semester) I can get back into it!

I'm hoping to organize enough stuff to write a book; I'm very into the "New Domesticity" and since most of my friends are guys, I love baking for them (I made mini lasagnas for finals week!), mending clothes, and generally, being the woman of the house. Being a woman is such a lost art on the next generation, and it makes me really sad. I look at teenagers at the mall and the teen center where I work and they all just seem so lost and loose, living on fast food and cell phones.

That's my rant for the day, and it's nice to meet you all!

lipstick kisses,
    Libby

2. # ADS

welcome (back) to getcrafty. there are a lot of viewpoints here, but i am a little uncomfortable with what you're saying about domesticity. i feel relatively sure that, based on my genetic makeup and phenotype, i am a woman, even though i don't cook for people or keep my house tidy. i'm very happy to lose the art of being a woman, if that's all it means.

heck, I hate housework! My house is a wreck! I just think women need not shy away from the kitchen or the sewing machine for fear of being labled as "anti-feminists"--that's the new domesticity as I understand it. Men too! My boyfriend is a great cook and he does all my heavy-duty mending because I can't use a sewing machine! I like doing "woman's work" because nobody's making me get in the kitchen, so occasionally, I embrace it. :P I like to do my baking in a crinoline and combat boots.

Nice to meet you too!

lipstick kisses,
    Libby

Quote Originally Posted by voodoopinupqueen
    I like to do my baking in a crinoline and combat boots.
    That mental image makes me smile!

Remove Ads

Ads