Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

who is trying to lose weight?

My hand is raised high.

I've been trying to exercise and eat better. It goes up and down though. Ilost, I gained back etc etc. When it gets warmer I'll be much more inspried to exercise, I just don't like to exercise on machines.

What are the things you are trying to do? Anyone drinking green tea? for me I drik so much dairy that switching to skim milk was huge. I also try to have healthy snacks in my desk at work so I don't go having some fat-filled lunch at noontime.

2. # ADS

I have tried doing things like eating soups at meals when I can because the soup fills me up without making me overfull or overeat. And they usually have things like protein and other good-for-you-things.

I also try to take a walk or go to the gym everyday. It doesn't always help me lose weight, but if I have a few days where I'm not eating well, I at least know I won't gain weight.

It's a struggle, of course.

I'm trying to drink more water now, just so I can have decent skin and be healthy, but drinking water is so hard when you just want to drink coffee all the time.

I also try to cut back on breads-- not because I'm anti-carb but because they usually don't fill me up, so I overeat as a result. But mm, bread.

I will see if I think of more things I do to lose weight. Mostly it's the eat right, exercise combo, but that's SO HARD sometimes.

I am.
    I just finished French Women Don't Get Fat. So far, it has really made an impact on my eating habits. I'm eating more wholesome foods and much smaller portions. The concept is to savor every bite and take the utmost pleasure in what you're eating rather than scarfing down half a box of wheat thins while you're in front of the TV. I can't say I've lost major poundage yet but my pants feel much looser and I've only been practicing what I learned for about 2 weeks.

I've been taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work and trying to park farther away at stores, etc. My next goal is to start walking a few times a week and doing some light weights. I just have to keep telling myself that I feel sooo much better when I can slip into my favorite pair of jeans with no muffin top. :) Much better than when I eat 3 slices of pizza.

i am, too.

i started a dance class -- salsa/merengue -- once a week (and will continue taking other dance classes, maybe adding one in the next round of classes), and i've started doing yoga on the wednesdays i don't have my knitting group.

i'm thinking of joining curves, or if i'm lucky actually making registration for the intermediate tennis class at my local adult school (i think i actually have to stay up until midnight and try and be the first one. those classes fill up almost instantly.)

i really hate gyms and am waiting for spring so i can go walking outside again. dancing is really fun and great cardio.

as far as food, i just eat what i want and try to pay attention to when i'm actually full and stop.

amaryllis, i've read french women don't get fat, and i think it's a great book. it should be named european women don't get fat, though. this is pretty much how continental europe eats. it reminded me of the way my mom fed us when we were children. growing up and working the corporate world makes you forget, especially when your coworkers want to go to pizzeria uno's every other day. ;-)

a great book i read along the lines of FWDGF is the slow down diet, by marc david. he explains the science behind FWDGF and adds a lot more very interesting information about metabolism and nutrient absorption and maintaining a healthy weight. it's helped me tremendously, sort of.

by sort of, i mean that after i started reading it for the second time last spring (to start implementing the processes), something happened in my brain/mind/whatever, and i freaked out and did exactly the opposite. so, i gained 11 pounds. i was NOT happy. i started stressing about every little thing i ate, and then making bad choices. it was also around this time that my tennis class ended. one of the things marc david writes about is "eating to the point of energy" -- eating until you feel full, but also feel like you can get up and do what you need to do afterwards. you don't feel like you want to sit in front of the tv or nap. this concept is what i've finally grasped, and it's awesome!

so, gather those things along with the fact that i'm insulin-resistent, and... weight gain.

i'm finally back on track, and i'm so happy! it's slow, but i don't feel stressed, and that's very imporant to me. and actually, i don't feel bad about my weight or body shape right now. i think that helps. i just want to lose weight to wear the clothes i want to wear and also start running. carrying 50 extra pounds is not fun for my ankles and knees.

ok, i'll stop babbling now. :-)

I read conflicting advice on whether you should weigh yourself only once a week, or every day. What do you opt for? So far I've been weighing myself every day and it's amazing how much it goes up and down in a week.

i'm not trying to lose weight, but i am trying to build muscle and get more active. i need to muscle for when i go back to doing martial arts, and the exercise for my sanity.

one of my online friends showed me this site: http://stumptuous.com/cms/index.php and i totally love it. it doesn't have weight loss information, just great stuff on weightlifting for women. it's very inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    i'm not trying to lose weight, but i am trying to build muscle and get more active. i need to muscle for when i go back to doing martial arts, and the exercise for my sanity.

one of my online friends showed me this site: http://stumptuous.com/cms/index.php and i totally love it. it doesn't have weight loss information, just great stuff on weightlifting for women. it's very inspirational.

I LOVE that site! She's funny as hell, too (I read her livejournal). You gotta trust a website on getting healthy if the woman has a PhD in women's studies-- ie, it's Good Getting Healthy not Yum Yum Society Hates You Losing Weight.

Half the time I feel conflicted about my reasons for losing weight. The other half I know I'm doing what's healthy for me. But still!

I'm trying to lose weight. I've actually been trying since last year and my biggest problem was going full on into a diet I didn't enjoy and when I got tired of it I binged and gained the weight back. Now I'm taking small steps, gradually watching what I eat and how much I eat and working out only a few times a week. And that has been working out better. I've been giving myself 1-2lbs loss a week goals and the fact that they're smaller and more attainable helps me keep on track better.

And about the weighing thing, I do check everyday but I just make sure I reach my goal weight every week because it does go up and down throughout.

And there's another thread about Sparkpeople.com on here. If you're into organization and keeping track that site has been REALLY helpful in my current weight loss success.

As far has how often to weigh, I really think it's just what works best for the individual. I was weighing every day and it made me pretty obsessive("what? I gained that pound back??!") Now I step on the scales every week or so to sort of check in to see how I'm progressing. I feel like just throwing them out all together..it's my tight pants that really tell the tale.

Weighing yourself can be deceiving, and doing it every day could cause an obsession and quite possibly a trigger. Weight fluctuates so much that you wont get a proper reading if you step on the scale every day. My mom and her best friend get together to work out at least 3 days a week, and once a month they do a weigh in and take their measurements and write it down on their work out calendar. That system works for them and was recommended by their doctor. Your best bet is to talk to your doctor and ask what she or he recommends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads