Planning a Puppy Shower

Hi there - a good friend of mine is getting a new German shepherd puppy in early May, and I want to throw her a puppy shower. Has anyone done anything like this before? I know I'll definitely serve Puppy Chow made from Chex mix....any other clever food ideas? I'm trying to decide if guests should bring their dogs, or if I should just have my friend bring her dog and her new puppy. Don't want any dog fights to break out... Anyway, would appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

2. # ADS

i think the puppy will be overwhelmed enough with a lot of people around, and having a lot of other dogs will probably just traumatize it. and if it hasn't had all of it's vaccines by the time she brings it home, it should be exposed to a lot of other dogs anyways.

i've never heard of a puppy shower, but good puppy gifts are sturdy chew toys, like a Kong.

I have not heard of a puppy shower as well. Wouldn't too many people and dogs around scares the puppy?? But it could an interesting idea as well. I think most pups like ball-like toys as they could spend endless hours chasing their "prey".

Blue&Pink
    Blue&Pink

I have never heard of a puppy shower before so I am just tossing out some off the cuff ideas...

I would suggest doing the puppy shower just like a baby shower...a little before the arrival of the puppy so that your friend can get supplies she would need for the puppy. In addition to the puppy chow, you could make sugar cookies and use cute cookie cutters shaped like a bone or other dog related shapes. Also, Rachel Ray does a recipe in her magazine every month that is for food you can share with your pet. Instead of bringing their own dogs [to avoid the aforementioned fights] people could bring their best puppy parenting advice. If your friend knows about the party ahead of time she could make a gift list [toys, dog bed, food, collar, etc...] that you could include in the invitations or she could even register at Target.

One thing to be certain of is no chocolate! Chocolate is toxic for dogs and can even lead to death. You might also want to look up information about other things and foods that might be dangerous, because sometimes its things you wouldn't think of.

I think a puppy would be OK as long as the music isn't too loud and people late off their shoes annd keep it to a dull roar. Don't make it too long though. Also, think about encouraging people to bring cash instead of presents, and then make a donation in honour of the new puppy to the local shelter. Just a thought... you don't really need presents for a puppy the way you would a baby.

Other foods to avoid for dogs: grapes, raisins, or onions

For safety, I agree with the others that it should be a one puppy show. Maybe for his birthday or something when he's older the puppy can have his friends over. Stick with humans for now.

I like the idea of bone shaped cookie cutters. You could make dog biscuits and send any dog owners home with a doggie bag.

I also like the idea of donations for a shelter. The dog really doesn't need that much stuff, but people may feel like they want to bring something. (I had a birthday party for my dog last uear - and stated clearly on the invitation that it was just a barbeque with an excuse to serve cake - people still brought presents - I felt kind of bad).

Depending on your budget, chips or regular party food would be cute served out of dog bowls. But that could get pricey just for decor.

Other aspects of the menu can be regular people food, but maybe change the names to work with the canine cuisine theme?

Hot dogs are always an option.

Remove Ads

Ads