Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

female musicians?

Hi, I am kind of new, I rarely post but lurk often. I have a question. What female musicians do you listen to? I mostly listen to jam band type music, but there is a lack of female musicians in that genre, as there are in most. So who do you listen to?

2. # ADS

well, Ani Difranco was my first reaction :)

I'm sorry, yes, definately Ani and the other obvious ones. I was thinking more obscure artists that I have not heard before. Thanks!

i really like feist and cat power. i'm not sure if that's obscure enough for you but they're really good!

definitely feist!

different genre here, but:
    jill scott, erykah badu, corinne bailey rae

been listening to a lot of those girls lately. except the latter - she can jerk those tears from you or at least get you close to it....

ok. definitely putting on some jill now.

editing to add that jill scott and erykah badu definitely have jam bands! a great introduction, if you're not already familiar with them, is to watch dave chappelle's 'block party.'

Recently added female fronted bands/female artists to my playlist:
    Beth Orton, Blonde Redhead, Holly Golightly, Feist, Imogen Heap, Ladytron, le Tigre, Rilo Kiley, Sleater Kinney, The Essex Green...

And then there are bunch of bands that have female musicians and singers...

Feist, Neko Case, Sarah Harmer, Sonya Kitchell, Regina Spektor (current favorite), Aimee Mann (long time favorite), Nikka Costa, and I love it when Georgie from Yo La Tengo sings.

Right now my favorite soloists are Neko Case and Cat Power. I'm highly intrigued by Lily Allen, although I haven't listened to the album, just the single (Smile).

My favorite singer in a band right now is Tracyanne Campbell of Camera Obscura. Since seeing them perform last month, I've been listening - nonstop - to their latest album "Let's Get Out of This Country" which includes the single by the same name, as well as the hit "Hey Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken" (a send-up to Lloyd Cole).

She is the coolest chick around. She has the most gorgeous voice, dresses exclusively in vintage attire, and plays numerous guitars. And she's Scottish!

Lot's of great suggestions so far... I love Cat Power, Neko Case, Nico, Camera Obscura, and Carly Simon.

I love psychedelia, so I would recommend Jefferson Airplane and the Mamas and the papas (oldies but goodies... especially if you like Essex Green).

One of my favorite female artists is Vashti Bunyan. She recorded her album decades ago, and then disappeared into the Irish countryside until recently. The album "Diamond Day" is one of the most beautiful recordings I have ever heard. It's perfect for chilly winter days spent at home sipping tea, cooking, and making art.

Almost forgot, Carla Bruni..beautiful, smoky French voice. And Madeline Peyroux. Oh, there are so many!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads