Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

benefits of coconut oil?

so i've decided to try using coconut oil for a few different ailments. anyone else try it? for what? what did you do? did it work?

thus far i've only tried it externally. haven't ingested it yet. don't know the best way other than just swallowing it, which doesn't seem very fun - at least at first.....

2. # ADS

You can put it in your hair if you are a fuzz head like me. It will tame it amd make it shiney...

That is all I've got, but I have a book at home I can look it up in.

it's really high in saturated fat, so i understand it's not one of the healthiest oils. this is info from a biochemistry class, though, so it doesn't touch on any of the alternative medicine aspects. i did a PubMed search on coconut oil and didn't find anything that supported it being a miracle cure, and based on the high saturation, i'd be hesitant to eat tons of it.

i use red palm oil to fry foods in (like eggs or tofu or whatever) since it is really high in vitamins A and E and tastes good. my mom heard a segment about it on a nutrition show on KPFA (KPFB in Berkeley, KFCF in Fresno, hah) and decided to try it. it actually tastes really good, so i started using it as a butter substitute. it has a distinct flavor (kind of like yams to me) so you can't use it for everything.

coconut oil

a friend of mine was just talking about it last night.. She suffers from hypothyroid and uses it as her main fat.. She says it warms her..and she is always cold.

Re: coconut oil

hypothyroid's the reason i'm thinking of trying it. i can handle the additional fat in the diet so there's no hesitation there. i just haven't figured a good way to ingest it. i like coconut, but best with chocolate.... but don't see how i will take it in - i'm not into fatty or greasy stuff, nor am i into sweet foods.

from what i can tell with a very quick search, some fatty acids can act in a way that increases the amount of heat the body generates (i can explain in more detail if you want) but it's not specifically coconut oil. one study in rats showed the most effect from olive oil.

apparently coconut oil is different than animal-derived saturated fats, and some researchers think that it doesn't have the same negative health impacts as other saturated fats. most of the research on this appears to be coming out of India.

i can't find any scholarly articles indicating that coconut oil has any benefits for hypothyroidism. all if the information i could find advertising the benefits of coconut oil for thyroid problems was put out by coconut oil companies, and none of it looked remotely reputable.

there could be benefits to coconut oil for thyroid problems, but i would be extremely skeptical of most of the claims out there.

* this is an interesting article... apparently one of the main doctors pushing coconut oil is funded by coconut oil companies and is research is definitely not scholarly or peer reviewed.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/dietweig...coconutoil.htm

I am curious as to "how" it works?
    I have a book that wold probably have a recomendation as to how to take it but I think I left it out last time the cleaning lady came over and she must have put it away... only I do not know where away is...

i think the cut and dried answer is that it doesn't work.

but people can derive benefits from things that are not scientifically proven or even likely, so as long as you're not putting yourself at risk by eating insane amounts of coconut oil, there's probably no harm.

if i have a minute, i'll run it by my biochemistry professor after class tomorrow.

I've heard that popcorn made with coconut oil is really, really good.

well after one day of three applications on my super-broken out skin, i can attest that it TOTALLY WORKS for that! i had a major breakout from hair products that my stylist used on me last week, teamed with hormonally stressed skin that was also really dry. i woke up figuring that i'd either be completely broken out or at least hopefully no different but was pleasantly surprised to find it WAY more clear and all the dry flaky patches were gone.

shocked and amazed i tell you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads